5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Brake Light Issue

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Just hooked up a boat I picked up and for some reason I have no trailer lights. Last week when I towed a boat they worked fine. The difference between last weeks boat and this weeks was the one that worked used the 4 pin plug. The one that's not working now uses a 7 pin plug. I checked all my fuses that I know of and they were good. Voltage readings below.

Measurements are with the truck on:
4-Pin Connector
Pin 1 = Ground
Pin 2 = 0V (Tail/Run)
Pin 3 = 12V/0V as left blinker is activated or solid 12V when brake is pressed.
Pin 4 = 12V/0V as right blinker is activated or solid 12V when brake is pressed.

7-Pin Connector
Pin 1 = Ground
Pin 2 = 4.6V (Brakes)
Pin 3 = 0V (Tail/Run)
Pin 4 = 12V (Aux/Charging)
Pin 5 = 12V/0V as left blinker is activated or solid 12V when brake is pressed.
Pin 6 = 12V/0V as right blinker is activated or solid 12V when brake is pressed.
Pin 7 = 0V (Backup)

I'm wondering if I should have voltage at Pin 2 of the 4-pin connector and Pin 3 of the 7-pin connector. Any help is much appreciated.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Check continuity to ground. On both vehicles.

A circuit is a circle, so if there is no path back to the negative side of the battery, it won't work. And often what happens --- assuming the boat trailer uses the old standard 1157 bulbs -- is that the ground is bad so the juice backfeeds the tail lamp circuit and finds a ground through a different path.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I forgot to mention although I get voltage for the left and right blinkers and brakes lights. When I plug in the trailer to the receptacle those don't work on the trailer. I'm suspecting I have to have voltage on pin 3 in order for the blinkers and brake lights to work as well.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Okay so I figured out why I wasn’t getting the 12V on Pin 3 and that was just because I had the headlights in auto, once I switched them on I got my voltage. Unfortunately still no lights. But I know all my voltages on the truck are good. Something wrong with the trailer wiring I believe.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Okay figured it out, so hopefully this helps someone in the future if they have a similar problem. It ended up being the trailer plug. I looked inside, cleaned the pins with alcohol, but what I think fixed it was bending the pins in closer to the center of the plug. All four pins were push to the outside of the connector housing so I don't think they were making good contact with the truck connector.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Co-worker with a 2018 HD had a similar problem - it turned out the 7-way had an internal problem with one of the pins being bent and not connecting. The back of the receptacle had to be removed to find this.

Users who are viewing this thread