5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Brake Controller 82215278AF vs 82215278AE

Slimmons

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 without the trailer brake controller. I'm looking into buying one now, and putting it in, since it's not that expensive and I need to do some more serious towing than I thought I would. I'm seeing on the official mopar store, the part number 82215278AF, and it's $455.91. However, I'm seeing a ton of these for less than half the price that are the replaced model of 82215278AE. I have no problem spending the extra money, but it's kind of difficult to find the newer AF model, rather than the AE models. I'm just torn between buying a nearly $500 part, that may not be very different from the previous version, which is closer to $170. Also, I need it quickly, and it seems like most places are out of the new one. Any opinions?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you north of the border?
A quick websearch shows these in the low $300's for the AF suffix.

Slimmons

Reaction score
Are you north of the border?
A quick websearch shows these in the low $300's for the AF suffix.
No, I'm not north of the border. The mopar official site says they are in the low 300's, but when I click on it they are higher. I've found them for around $300 at other sites, like this one. And once again, I don't mind paying $300+ for the part I need, I just have been burned by buying OEM parts from websites that send out the wrong parts, and then I spend weeks getting the issues resolved. I haven't had great luck. But, spending $455 on the mopar website also seems silly.

Fordication

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 without the trailer brake controller. I'm looking into buying one now, and putting it in, since it's not that expensive and I need to do some more serious towing than I thought I would. I'm seeing on the official mopar store, the part number 82215278AF, and it's $455.91. However, I'm seeing a ton of these for less than half the price that are the replaced model of 82215278AE. I have no problem spending the extra money, but it's kind of difficult to find the newer AF model, rather than the AE models. I'm just torn between buying a nearly $500 part, that may not be very different from the previous version, which is closer to $170. Also, I need it quickly, and it seems like most places are out of the new one. Any opinions?
Ebay has them for about 150 from the factory.

Fordication

Reaction score
It appears that the AF replaced the AE. I do not know why since I had the AE in my last truck and it worked fine.

swoter

Reaction score
I just took my truck to my dealer and had them order and install the factory controller. It cost a bit more, but I didn’t have to worry or mess with it.

swoter

Reaction score
If I remember right it was 3 to 400. Once they got the controller, it was less than an hour to install.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I just recently installed the integrated trailer brake module that works with the infotainment system . (Dont remember the part # but I got it from American Trucks) it was a breeze to install and came with usb with software included

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the dealer I got my truck from order and install for $375. That was back in March though.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I had the dealer I got my truck from order and install for $375. That was back in March though.
I only did it myself because with my work schedule I couldn’t find the time to get it to the dealer and I didnt feel like taking my Edge Pulsar out. 😂

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I ordered mine from American Trucks it was around $500 including a flash drive with the software to upload so it would work with the infotainment center. I got mine in 2 or 3 days

xjarcher

Reaction score
I see none have the wiring, where is that available?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

skyhawk42

Reaction score
The wiring is already in the truck. Basically plug in the module and the controller/switch and turn it on in Alfa. Really simple to do

xjarcher

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps a bunch. Now I need to learn about Alfa.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread