5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail Navigation Apps - BackCountry Nav Pro (NorCal)

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's up y'all - I've bought BackCountry Navigator Pro a while back (Android Based)

Wanted to know if there's anyone out there using this app with any suggestions for getting the most out of it?
1611946042073.png
I'm in Northern California always looking for trails but was hoping for a map source that's a little more obvious on where potential trails might exist.

Any other apps (preferably not subscriptions) that are good for this region?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's up y'all - I've bought BackCountry Navigator Pro a while back (Android Based)

Wanted to know if there's anyone out there using this app with any suggestions for getting the most out of it?
View attachment 81060
I'm in Northern California always looking for trails but was hoping for a map source that's a little more obvious on where potential trails might exist.

"All trails" and "On x Offroad" are good apps. I use them in different parts of country. Displays pictures, reviews, and details about the trail. I use the free version for both. All trails searches for any type of trails including hiking so just make sure to check the "offroad driving" on the filter list.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"All trails" and "On x Offroad" are good apps. I use them in different parts of country. Displays pictures, reviews, and details about the trail. I use the free version for both. All trails searches for any type of trails including hiking so just make sure to check the "offroad driving" on the filter list.

Thanks for those reminders - I tried them +\- 2 years ago and they were lukewarm, downloading now to my Tab to try them out... which reminded me, Jeep/FCA has a trail app, I don't recall if it was any good

Code2medic

Reaction score

View attachment 81060

Gaia gps

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
AllTrails here. I like that I can also use it online (browser) and then make plans that will show up on the mobile app.

with CarPlay it has been good with directions to the trailhead

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AllTrails here. I like that I can also use it online (browser) and then make plans that will show up on the mobile app.

with CarPlay it has been good with directions to the trailhead

Just downloaded AllTrails on my Tablet (using a Tab S7 so far) - good point on CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility! Learning that one out to see how I like it. Still trying to figure out who's going to take my money and be worth it.

Tested out:
  • OnX OffRoad: Its okay, nice UI and overlay, but w/o premium there's not much I can tell I'll gain (or maybe I missed it in the trial. Had lots of trails far from me but I know there's plenty closer.
  • Avenza Maps: Good for using already available forest service maps. Free version is decent to get started in searching for maps
  • BackCountry Nav Pro: (bought this when it was on sale) the UI is so dated. It's a good product as far as features but so clunky to use, kinda sad because it could beat out other apps if their UI/UX was better.
  • Looking at OverlandBoundOne app from the forums - looks pretty good but I'm not a member and there's no way to see what member features are truly gained (trails etc), but looking at joining that local community to learn more

Code2medic

Reaction score
Do they have a lifetime plan again? I'm not an avid offroader but GAIA felt expensive for what I was using it for; I'll try it again though
I’m honestly not sure if they do I’m fortunate enough that it’s highly discounted for me thru work..... either way I’d still pay it if it wasn’t just because I ask myself what’s my and my friends or families life worth. I do enough off road stuff that not getting lost or being able to give good locations is worth it in the end if I ever need to...
fyi Gaia also works with CarPlay

But course there is the exception to the rule I’m not really concerned of the other half is found It’s more for me and the dogs 😁

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m honestly not sure if they do I’m fortunate enough that it’s highly discounted for me thru work..... either way I’d still pay it if it wasn’t just because I ask myself what’s my and my friends or families life worth. I do enough off road stuff that not getting lost or being able to give good locations is worth it in the end if I ever need to...
fyi Gaia also works with CarPlay

But course there is the exception to the rule I’m not really concerned of the other half is found It’s more for me and the dogs 😁

Talking to a guy I went wheeling with; it was AllTrails that he got a 5 year plan up front for; I'm all for paying when actually exploring; but puttering around forest roads to explore for a day trip once a month, might as well search online/paper maps etc. Besides, most of the trails shown (if not nearly all) are documented USFS roads, or at least should be (Tread lightly!)

We'll see how the summer goes; I used Gaia this past weekend or so, was nice, I can see it's the most polished of the bunch, so worth it in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online