5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPM sensor reset?

NJK

Reaction score
Hello, new to this page and new to the RAM life. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and just recently traded off my 2016 Silverado for the RAM. I have aftermarket wheels and when I would swap them around on my silverado, I would just swing into the local chevy dealership. I would pull in and they would reset my TPM sensors in less than a minute with their programmer and send me on my way at no charge. I put these wheels on my Ram yesterday and I thought from the research I had done the truck would pick up the sensors on their own and did not need programming. This was not the case. So I went to the local RAM dealership and asked if they could reset them like I use to do at the chevy dealership. The service manager says " I can do it for you for $45" My response was "$45 for about a minutes worth of time?!" He says "yup thats correct, I'll charge you for a half hour worth of work" Needless to say I said no thanks Ill figure something else out. Now today I cant seem to find a TPM programmer for the 19 RAM for less than $200. It just seems kinda hefty priced for essentially a one time deal. Any suggestions or advice from anyone? Thanks in advance!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I swap my winter wheels/tires on I didn't have to do anything. I used Mopar TPMS though.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same as J-Cooz, swap wheels and it is automatic. I'm under the impression you need Mopar TPM. There is a thread or two on the forum.
Here is one, I don't know if this helps.

There is another thread with some members buying on ebay. Best of luck.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I picked up my winter wheels and tires from Tirerack.com, and bought their TPMS sensors with them. They also are instantly picked up when I swap over my wheels, so may not need MOPAR brand sensors, but the ones you have now are probably not compatible with the truck.

Probably a good thing you didn’t pay to have the dealer reset the system!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought Mopar OEM sensors off eBay for dirt cheap and they worked perfectly. I think it was $40 for 4. They don't come in a box or a bag, just loose but they work.

They ship from Michigan, and the rams are built in Michigan....just saying.

NJK

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice! I guess Im going to have to get some new TPM sensors and have them put in.

taz2016

Reaction score
I bought Mopar OEM sensors off eBay for dirt cheap and they worked perfectly. I think it was $40 for 4. They don't come in a box or a bag, just loose but they work.

They ship from Michigan, and the rams are built in Michigan....just saying.

What he said. I think they were around $36 when I bought mine.

Patrick V

Reaction score
I think I have a similar problem, I purchased new wheel from Tirerack, tires from 4WP and VDO sensors from my local parts house, 4wp mounted my tires on the rims before I was able to drop off my sensors, I paid for another remount and balance, after waiting almost a week they "squeezed" me in. I took my truck home with the OEM tires in the bed, after 15 miles my TPMS alert came on, I thought maybe the rims in the bed. I took the wheels out and went for a drive, the sensors didn't activate, and it had a heck of a shake. I took back the next day, they rebalance the tires, and I think removed the rotor retainers. They said that their Snap-On TPMS tool wouldn't activate the sensors. With the crap I went through, I almost think they charged me for the install but never installed them.
Is there any way to tell without breaking down the tire to see if they are installed?

Every time I rotated the OEM wheels the sensors learned the new position within 5 miles of freeway driving.

Thanks in advance.

NJK

Reaction score
I ended up going to the aftermarket shop that I bought the wheels and tires from initially. They were super cool, just like they are everytime I work with them on stuff. He tried to see if the ones that were in my wheels would reprogram and figured out that the ones in the wheels were only programable for general motors vehicles. He said it would be about $400 to dismount and remount new sensors that would program, just because the sensors themselves are pretty pricey. He also recommended I just ignore the stuff on the dash and come back when I need my tires replaced in probably 6 months. I appreciate a business owner like that, looking out for his costumers and not trying to make a quick buck.

Users who are viewing this thread