5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Without Tow Mirrors

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Hans anyone towed without the tow mirrors? I’m curious what the visibility is like.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Bainers

Reaction score
I tow a 23' (bumper to bumper) X 8' TT without tow mirrors. I can't quite see my trailer's side *ss but changing lanes is not a problem. Between these mirrors and the trailer backup camera I see just fine.

Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow an 8 foot wide travel trailer that is 26 feet long with the regular mirrors. I say the visibility is good enough.

I bought those snap on extension mirrors for my old 4th gen truck and used them a couple times. They worked ok. They do provide more reach, but I stopped using them since I found myself looking at the regular mirror much more than the extension.

Fast forward to the 5th gen truck and the mirrors are even better than the last generation. Seems like they have slightly more reach and they added the fisheye spotter mirror. I also have an observation camera on the back of the travel trailer. That hardly gets used either. Only when backing up lately, and then only when the spot is challenging.

Haven’t had the tow mirrors on any recent truck so can’t really compare.

Last edited:

ClancyO

Reaction score
I have a 8.5x24 car hauler, and no tow mirrors. I put the extenders on, but it’s more for appearances, the normal mirrors work well and I’m not seeing behind me either way. The BLIS does work, displays an icon telling me I have a 30ft trailer, but I’ve noticed the BLIS needs to ‘see’ the trailer real soon after activating tow/haul mode to come on. I usually wait until I’m ready to roll before activating tow/haul and as I make the first turn the screen flashes some message (I’m always watching the trailer) and the 30ft icon is lite. I too have a wireless cam on the back of the trailer so I can see traffic behind so I’m not surprised by it.. I’ve watched the traffic and the BLIS indicators and been quite amazed how well they work.

I probably would have preferred the tow mirrors, but didn’t want to lose the folding function. With the extenders and wireless cam I’m happy with the rearward visibility.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 8.5x24 car hauler, and no tow mirrors. I put the extenders on, but it’s more for appearances, the normal mirrors work well and I’m not seeing behind me either way. The BLIS does work, displays an icon telling me I have a 30ft trailer, but I’ve noticed the BLIS needs to ‘see’ the trailer real soon after activating tow/haul mode to come on. I usually wait until I’m ready to roll before activating tow/haul and as I make the first turn the screen flashes some message (I’m always watching the trailer) and the 30ft icon is lite. I too have a wireless cam on the back of the trailer so I can see traffic behind so I’m not surprised by it.. I’ve watched the traffic and the BLIS indicators and been quite amazed how well they work.

I probably would have preferred the tow mirrors, but didn’t want to lose the folding function. With the extenders and wireless cam I’m happy with the rearward visibility.
I just bought a similar trailer Friday. I will say the BLIS works well going down the hwy and adjust itself after the first decent turn.. but I would like to have alittle more mirror when backing up. I tried to back it up into my polebarn and definitely needed another set of eyes on the ground to get it in there.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I just bought a similar trailer Friday. I will say the BLIS works well going down the hwy and adjust itself after the first decent turn.. but I would like to have alittle more mirror when backing up. I tried to back it up into my polebarn and definitely needed another set of eyes on the ground to get it in there.

Ditto that! The backup cam makes all the difference in the world, but even then I have to adjust it down if I’m trying to place the trailer in a tight spot.

This is the camera I bought.
OYT 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera 7" High-Speed Observation DVR System for RVs,Travels,Trailers,Trucks,Full/Split Screen,IP69K Waterproof Camera Super Night Vision Guild Lines ON/Off https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895PCPDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N1TLFbSQ55MPQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 32' TT and while the non-towing mirrors suffice, I am really looking forward to installing the power folding tow mirrors from a 2021. You can never have too much visibility down the side of the trailer.
Where I really find myself lacking vision is on the highway with turns and slight bends when trying to change lanes, it will also help with being able to see the end of the trailer when changing lanes and judging clearance.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I’m trying to figure out what I want to do in the future keep the Rebel or move up to a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tow a Seadoo, I can't even see it in the side mirrors :LOL: just the rearview mirror and its so light I don't even notice it there:p

JimD007

Reaction score
My Ram 1500 is wider than any previous vehicle I have towed with and has bigger stock mirrors. I haven't towed with it yet but I am not at all worried about the stock mirrors. I am confident they will work fine.

redevil

Reaction score
I just ordered the Longview mirror attachments for my 2020 from eTrailer. Had the CIPA ones for my 2015 and they made a world of a difference. Would definitely recommend the tow mirrors that you can remove after towing as I like the power folding mirrors on my truck.

MaximumEffort

Reaction score
I just ordered the Longview mirror attachments for my 2020 from eTrailer. Had the CIPA ones for my 2015 and they made a world of a difference. Would definitely recommend the tow mirrors that you can remove after towing as I like the power folding mirrors on my truck.
I have the K-Source Snap & Zap Custom Towing Mirrors - Snap On mirrors on my 2020 Limited for the same reason. They work great but are finger busters, especially when removing them.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Fwiw, the backup camera option does have a downside. Night time. Even after turning the brightness all the way down, having a 7” monitor constantly flashing headlights at you after dark gets annoying rather quick.

Users who are viewing this thread