5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with a Car Hauler loaded with Jeep JK

U

User_69688

Hi All...

New Ram 1500 Limited Diesel 4x4 owner here. Lots of good information in this forum and a big thanks to all that contributed to the information and details. For a bit of background, I have only towed in the past with a Jeep Wrangler JK 4 door with a 3 place atv trailer on a typical aluminum trailer which I believe was at 3k total gvwr with 3 atvs loaded up. That was a 6 hr one way drive up north in New England at least a dozen times.

Now I am about to tow that Jeep JK on a 20 ft car hauler rated at 10k gvwr with a 1500 lb hitch load (15% of max gvwr of trailer). The 15% hitch load is what the mfg of the trailer states it is; I guess their recommended number or just their stated value, I am not sure which. The trailer empty weight is 2750 lbs. This will be a cross country trip one way and my first time on such a trip almost coast to coast.

The new ram 1500 has a 7200 lbs gvwr and 1279 lbs payload and approximately 9649 lbs towing capacity. The Jeep JK I am guestimating at 5500 lbs with all the upgrades (winch, steel bumpers, steel skids, rock sliders, bigger tires, etc.).

So doing the math...
5500 lb Jeep JK (also somewhat of a guestimation from other rigs similarly equipped who were weighed at one point)
2750 lb 20 ft trailer empty weight
= 8250 lbs total for trailer with jeep JK
hitch weight @ 15 percent --> 8250 lbs x .15 = 1237.5 lbs.
(requires a 2-5/16-inch ball)

So as you can see I am within 41.5 lbs of my payload leaving not much for the 3 additional people traveling with me and their luggage :(

So I know there is the legal limits on paper and the buffer zone of limits some of us believe to exist in these trucks. Like the debate of the 7200 gvwr vs the 8000 gvwr of the two axles added together. That's 800 lbs of buffer payload they built in for those who are not in the numbers mindset :). If I do some or all of the following then maybe I'd be fine taking it slow and being respectful of the weight and road conditions, etc.

1. Add a WDH like the one from --> ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
2. Add the luggage from the 4 of us to the Jeep JK for travel to take it out of the Ram payload which I don't have much at all left anyway.

That means I am surely going to be 760 lbs PLUS over payload with the 4 adults avg 200 lbs each and whatever is added to the hitch weight from the luggage being placed in the Jeep JK.

Is there any room to lower the hitch weight from 1237.5 lbs to say 12 % of the 8250 lbs for 990 lbs hitch weight giving me about 289 lbs more payload to use for people weight :). Who decides it should be 12 or 15 percent hitch weight? Isn't it a matter of where I load the Jeep JK on the trailer that will determine said hitch weight? Therefore if I load it a bit more on the rear side of the trailer I will effectively lower the tongue weight to the 12% number.

To add to the issue, I cannot get actual scale numbers before the trip as I am going to pickup the jeep from the west coast so I wont have that available to me until Im there and loading the Jeep up to bring it home..

Thanks in advance for any and all input :)
J

Last edited by a moderator:

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to do this, I would use a tongue scale (like a Sherline), and the fact that the position of the Jeep on the trailer impacts the tongue weight, to keep the tongue under 1200lbs. And only carry in The truck what must be in the truck. Put As much the weight as possible over (not behind) the trailer axles. But realize, your total load really requires more truck...so be careful

Last edited:
U

User_69688

If I had to do this, I would use a tongue scale (like a Sherline), and the fact that the position of the Jeep on the trailer impacts the tongue weight, to keep the tongue under 1200lbs. And only carry in The truck what must be in the truck. Put As much the weight as possible over (not behind) the trailer axles. But realize, your total load really requires more truck...so be careful
Thanks for the reply.

The only reason though for the "more truck" needed comment is just due to payload being maxed out by tongue weight (8250 lbs x .15 = 1237.5 lbs.) ... correct?

Although there is 800 or so pounds still available in the axle ratings combined - 7200 GVWR vs 8000 GVWR. That along with the air suspension and a WD hitch, I am thinking it should be distributed throughout the tow vehicle.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I would weigh the Jeep and not guesstimate. A JKU can be close to 5k depending on options, stock. Add all the aftermarket stuff and it could easily be close to 6k. Have you considered flat towing the Jeep? I towed my TJ with a supplemental braking system for thousands of miles without issue.

U

User_69688

I would weigh the Jeep and not guesstimate. A JKU can be close to 5k depending on options, stock. Add all the aftermarket stuff and it could easily be close to 6k. Have you considered flat towing the Jeep? I towed my TJ with a supplemental braking system for thousands of miles without issue.
True it really needs to be weighed first but unfortunately I can't really do that till I get there to tow it home and then Im stuck driving both back when I could have just flew out and drove it home. Which is what I will probably end up doing to be safe.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your tongue load is 1200, and your in-truck payload is 800#, your a good bit over. But you may be able to work the Jeep position to control trailer tongue to make it work. Just remember, the brakes are probably where you are pushing it the hardest. Be sure the trailer brakes are working - set the gain so you can lock the loaded trailer wheels during an emergency stop.

we don’t know what the trailer really is, but if it’s 2800#, and the Jeep is 5000# (btw, that’s a 1k of extra Jeep ;) ) you might be able to keep the tongue under 900. Put everything but people in the Jeep middle seats. Put the truck spare in the Jeep. Max tire pressures. Cautious driving. Diet and exercise. Pressurize Jeep with helium....

If you didn’t have three additional folks in the truck, you’d be close to limits with the Jeep and trailer. So, yes, 2000# payload > RAM 1500

U

User_69688

So looking into that scale for the tongue weight \ hitch weight... If I balanced everything in the jeep and the jeep itself such that I lowered my tongue \ hitch weight to say 900 or 800 lbs, then effectively I have added back to my payload by that amount and now have room for the occupants in the tow vehicle. And having the air suspension and the WD hitch I should remain level thus keeping my steering and drivability in check, no?

What I am trying to say is, having the air suspension and the WD hitch, I can play more with the tongue weight \ hitch weight and load the travel trailer \ jeep trailer such that its less on the hitch to give me more payload back that I otherwise would have lost without air suspension and the WD hitch.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The air ride helps level, but it’s the WDH that makes sure there’s enough weight transferred to the front wheels. I don’t have a ProPride, but would assume you can adjust it to maximize weight distributio. Put the truck in Normal Ride height, then Disable the air ride (jack mode), measure the front fender height, rear fender height before hooking the trailer, and after. In a perfect world, the WDH is right when the front is compressed the same, or up to 1” less, than the rear. Can’t always be achieved, but get as close as you can.

One step many folks forget, that makes all this easier, is to ensure that the trailer is level when hooked, by adjusting the truck hitch ball height. It’s easier/more predictable to adjust the WDH, when the trailer starts out level.

after all that, turn the air back on before anybody gets in.

if after it’s all loaded, you can’t achieve Normal Ride Height, often you can achieve Aero. They don’t tell you this, but the truck in Aero mode will carry a little more than Normal.

And make sure the trailer brakes work. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

U

User_69688

if after it’s all loaded, you can’t achieve Normal Ride Height, often you can achieve Aero. They don’t tell you this, but the truck in Aero mode will carry a little more than Normal.

A bit confused by this. Aren't I at this point in normal mode based on your instructions. Or do you mean that when I turn air back on the weight of everything loaded will have effectively pushed down on the suspension below normal and put me at entry exit or Aero and the air won't be able to raise to normal?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Booch

Reaction score
I personally would not attempt this for a long distance, but if I had to... I would not move the Jeep back on the trailer to reduce the tongue weight, as this will likely cause the trailer to sway. And you should adjust the WDH with the air suspension turned off.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally would not attempt this for a long distance, but if I had to... I would not move the Jeep back on the trailer to reduce the tongue weight, as this will likely cause the trailer to sway. And you should adjust the WDH with the air suspension turned off.
I hear ya - the thought was to be thoughtful about the position of the Jeep. Moving 200# from tongue to trailer axles, is likely a few inches of load adjustment. Should be able to achieve 10-12% tongue without noticeably increasing sway.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit confused by this. Aren't I at this point in normal mode based on your instructions. Or do you mean that when I turn air back on the weight of everything loaded will have effectively pushed down on the suspension below normal and put me at entry exit or Aero and the air won't be able to raise to normal?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
If you went to jack mode from normal, when you turn jack mode off, the truck will try to raise to Normal ride height. It may try and reach max pressure before getting up to Normal. You can then set Aero, and see if you get an message. I don’t think you’ll have any issue, until your three pax go to the all-you-can-ear buffet...

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Not suggesting, just curious. Have you researched or considered using a tow bar instead of a trailer? I see RV’s pulling Jeeps with tow bars quite a bit.

Last edited:

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Not suggesting, just curious. Have you researched or considered using a tow bar instead of a trailer? I see RV’s pulling Jeep’s with tow bars quite a bit.
I agree, tow bar based on what you have to tow would be better and safer than loading in on a trailer. I believe that UHaul rents them?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, tow bar based on what you have to tow would be better and safer than loading in on a trailer. I believe that UHaul rents them?

No. U-Haul only rents the 2-wheel “tow dolly” or the full car trailer (or “auto transport” as they call it)

Reactions: cj7

mmcbeat

Reaction score
No. U-Haul only rents the 2-wheel “tow dolly” or the full car trailer (or “auto transport” as they call it)
I rented one of those once to tow a small front wheel drive vehicle. Only about 250 miles but it worked well. Nice thing about a Wrangler, you can put the transfer case in neutral and you are good to go with a tow bar.

jkm312

Reaction score
Can you find a lighter trailer to haul the jeep on?
You are at the upper max for what you can do with a 1500.
I would scale it out before you start back to make sure you are not over limits.
Being overloaded is not a place you want to be.
What about having the jeep shipped to you by a car transport company?
What does that cost look like compared to the cost of 3 or 4 days on the road each way for all of you? Are you going to be the only driver?
Depending on how the jeep is set up now, will a tow bar work well enough for a cross country trip?
Old truck driver here thinking out loud. Be safe, with whatever you decide.

U

User_69688

Can you find a lighter trailer to haul the jeep on?
You are at the upper max for what you can do with a 1500.
I would scale it out before you start back to make sure you are not over limits.
Being overloaded is not a place you want to be.
What about having the jeep shipped to you by a car transport company?
What does that cost look like compared to the cost of 3 or 4 days on the road each way for all of you? Are you going to be the only driver?
Depending on how the jeep is set up now, will a tow bar work well enough for a cross country trip?
Old truck driver here thinking out loud. Be safe, with whatever you decide.
Finding a lighter trailer I think is my next step and sell off the NEW old one :) I saw a 10k gvwr aluminum trailer that is 1950 or there about empty, saving me 120 lbs on hitch weight.

I already had it shipped out and was going to have it shipped back but since I wanted a trailer anyways to tow in the tri state area to off-road areas like in PA for example, I figured buying the truck and the trailer was the right way to go and make use of it to bring the jeep home.

Does a tow bar work with a pick up?... I don't believe so and would need an RV.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some states don’t let tow dollys on certain roads...
Also have to make sure you can flat tow without damage. I don’t know about JKs, but I do know a lot of auto-trans cars have engine-driven trans fluid pumps, and so cannot be flat towed.

Lighter trailer is moving in the right direction...

Users who are viewing this thread