5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing to Alaska - 5.7, 3.21

JimJustJim

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been so active on the forums since I traded a Tacoma for my 2020 Ram, but I guess that's what happens when a truck is so perfect you don't seek assistance from the owner community! This Ram has been amazing for 12k miles and I have no regrets!!

As the title says, I'm moving from San Antonio TX to Anchorage AK, in a little under 4 months. We are planning the move now and finding that with 3 dogs, a cat, and a few things we don't trust movers to handle, the truck is running out of cargo space! So now I'm looking for trailers and in need of advice.

The wife wants an RV. I'm ok with that. It will give us some added cargo space, and it will give the cat her own domain for the duration of the move. Let alone the money and stress we'll save trying to find hotels.

My issue is that I have the 3.21 axle ratio, and that comes with a low tow rating of somewhere around 8400 lbs (need to double check that number). Having very little experience with trailers, I need some input from the community.

Anyone out there with the 3.21 rear end have any advice or experience towing? It seems there are only a few camper trailers in this area with a weight that low. How heavy and how far have you gone towing a trailer with this axle? Looks like we need to plan for 8 days on the road.

The dealership said I will need to add airbags and a brake controller, and really discouraged any towing at all with my setup. Citing possible warranty void, and risk of breakdown in Canada where Chrysler will not honor American warranty.

Any and all input or advice here is greatly appreciated! I am at a complete loss here.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Start with your payload. Subtract weight of passengers, anything else in the truck and bed = allowable tongue weight. Tongue weight divided by 13% = max trailer weight. This will be significantly lower than the fictitious max tow weight RAM provided. Yes you can tow without any warranty issues, can you tow a lot? Probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read the pinned thread “So you want to tow a camper!” It will give you most of the information you need to know what you can and cannot tow.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Start with your payload. Subtract weight of passengers, anything else in the truck and bed = allowable tongue weight. Tongue weight divided by 13% = max trailer weight. This will be significantly lower than the fictitious max tow weight RAM provided. Yes you can tow without any warranty issues, can you tow a lot? Probably not.

This is the answer. Unless you're driving a stripped down Tradesman by yourself you're going to run out of payload before you hit the tow capacity. Look at the yellow sticker on your door and it'll say "The combined weight of occupants and cargo shoulder never exceed X pounds." Add up every single thing you put in the truck after you bought it. subtract from the number on the sticker, then do what Dragon said about using 13% for tongue weight. Typically a travel trailer will be 10-15% so 13% is a good estimate.

Also, if you plan to use a weight distribution hitch (I would if I were you), that's another 100 or so pounds. Air bags will add weight, etc. Easiest thing to do is load up the truck with your 100% knowns (passengers, dogs, day bags) and go to a scale to get your weight.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been so active on the forums since I traded a Tacoma for my 2020 Ram, but I guess that's what happens when a truck is so perfect you don't seek assistance from the owner community! This Ram has been amazing for 12k miles and I have no regrets!!

As the title says, I'm moving from San Antonio TX to Anchorage AK, in a little under 4 months. We are planning the move now and finding that with 3 dogs, a cat, and a few things we don't trust movers to handle, the truck is running out of cargo space! So now I'm looking for trailers and in need of advice.

The wife wants an RV. I'm ok with that. It will give us some added cargo space, and it will give the cat her own domain for the duration of the move. Let alone the money and stress we'll save trying to find hotels.

My issue is that I have the 3.21 axle ratio, and that comes with a low tow rating of somewhere around 8400 lbs (need to double check that number). Having very little experience with trailers, I need some input from the community.

Anyone out there with the 3.21 rear end have any advice or experience towing? It seems there are only a few camper trailers in this area with a weight that low. How heavy and how far have you gone towing a trailer with this axle? Looks like we need to plan for 8 days on the road.

The dealership said I will need to add airbags and a brake controller, and really discouraged any towing at all with my setup. Citing possible warranty void, and risk of breakdown in Canada where Chrysler will not honor American warranty.

Any and all input or advice here is greatly appreciated! I am at a complete loss here.
I towed a 6’x 12’ Uhaul from Anchorage to Houston ten years ago. Your Ram as equipped will easily do the job for a Uhual unless you go the travel trailer route.

The bigger question is how many gallons does you fuel tank hold? If the 26 gallon tank you should take some fuel cans with you and buy an Alaskan Milepost which will give you guidance on fuel stops. Fuel availability can be challenging based upon route and time of year. And be prepared to be stunned at the price of fuel as it can get expensive the further north you go in Canada.

Last edited:

JimJustJim

Reaction score
I towed a 6’x 12’ Uhaul from Anchorage to Houston ten years ago. Your Ram as equipped will easily do the job for a Uhual unless you go the travel trailer route.

The bigger question is how many gallons does you fuel tank hold? If the 26 gallon tank you should take some fuel cans with you and buy an Alaskan Milepost which will give you guidance on fuel stops. Fuel availability can be challenging based upon route and time of year. And be prepared to be stunned at the price of fuel as it can get expensive the further north you go in Canada.
Thanks for the advice on the Milepost. I didn't even know that was a thing. I've got the 33 gallon tank.

I guess I'll admit ignorance here. The door sticker says 1570lb payload. I think when you add up everything I plan to load up (all living creatures included) I can't see us nearing half that.

Let's say I want to haul a small trailer that has 3800lb gvwr, and I have 800lbs of payload on the truck. Can someone spell out how to calculate from here at like a 3rd grade level? I'm just not very good with math. And when I say not very good I mean to say I am very bad.

Do I multiply the remaining payload by .13 in order to find my max trailer weight?

We're happy hauling a lightweight teardrop if need be.

Thanks very much to everyone that's posted here with input and advice so far. I apologize for my ignorance.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
800 / 0.13 = 6,153lbs. Less weight distributing hitch of +\- 100lbs = 6,053lbs of total loaded trailer weight, if looking at an RV you’d be looking at a max unloaded weight of about 4,500lbs to stay within safe limits.

MLB12

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the Milepost. I didn't even know that was a thing. I've got the 33 gallon tank.

I guess I'll admit ignorance here. The door sticker says 1570lb payload. I think when you add up everything I plan to load up (all living creatures included) I can't see us nearing half that.

Let's say I want to haul a small trailer that has 3800lb gvwr, and I have 800lbs of payload on the truck. Can someone spell out how to calculate from here at like a 3rd grade level? I'm just not very good with math. And when I say not very good I mean to say I am very bad.

Do I multiply the remaining payload by .13 in order to find my max trailer weight?

We're happy hauling a lightweight teardrop if need be.

Thanks very much to everyone that's posted here with input and advice so far. I apologize for my ignorance.

Drop me a note to [email protected] on Tuesday. It's a Stat long weekend here, but I'll do a little bit of digging for you on Tuesday and should be able to give you some help on a couple of things.

Oldphart

Reaction score
2021 Lonestar with the 5.7 Etorque and 3.21 gearing. I tow (among other things) a Jayco Jayfeather 24RL. When loaded and ready t go, it is at about 6,400 lbs. No issues with trailiering but I have the 33 gallon than and a weight distributing hitch.

BigEarl62

Reaction score
2021 Lonestar with the 5.7 Etorque and 3.21 gearing. I tow (among other things) a Jayco Jayfeather 24RL. When loaded and ready t go, it is at about 6,400 lbs. No issues with trailiering but I have the 33 gallon than and a weight distributing hitch.
Oldphart,

can you share you average driving speed while towing and fuel economy while towing? I tow a similarly sized/weighted TT with my 2021 Laramie 4x4 w/3.21 and 33 gallon tank. Driving at 65 mph I averaged 8-8.5 mpg. Thanks!

Oldphart

Reaction score
I get around 10.5, but I live in SE Texas where the only hills are the overpasses on I-10. I run 65 also, but there is an area where the limit is 75 so I bump it up a bit to avoid being a moving chicane.

BigEarl62

Reaction score
I get around 10.5, but I live in SE Texas where the only hills are the overpasses on I-10. I run 65 also, but there is an area where the limit is 75 so I bump it up a bit to avoid being a moving chicane.
Makes sense. Thanks. I live in SE Texas too. I travel/tow to the Saint Louis area a lot. There are hills going north towards Texarkana. Trans drops down to 3 occasionally. Mostly it runs in 4th and 5th. And more hills in to Missouri. Nothing too strenuous though takes a toll on mpg. Seeing instantaneous number as low as 4 mpg on some hills.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Makes sense. Thanks. I live in SE Texas too. I travel/tow to the Saint Louis area a lot. There are hills going north towards Texarkana. Trans drops down to 3 occasionally. Mostly it runs in 4th and 5th. And more hills in to Missouri. Nothing too strenuous though takes a toll on mpg. Seeing instantaneous number as low as 4 mpg on some hills.

We went to Branson, Mo last November but decided to rent a condo instead of pulling the trailer. We were able to do the drive in one day and the increased gas mileage more than made up for the difference between the price for the condo and any of the trailer parks.

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is an off the wall suggestion but you might want to look at a Coleman LT-17B trailer. Only 3000 lbs dry weight and if you’re lucky you can find a dealer still willing to sell for their super sale price of $9995. It IS NOT the greatest trailer but IMO the best value - and I would definitely tow with WDH. Good luck with the move - just a shame you’re introducing your RAM to road salt.

1D32319

Reaction score
Looks like we need to plan for 8 days on the road.

Just addressing this. I did El Paso to Anchorage and back. 2008 going north and 2012 going south. It was maybe a 4 and a half day drive really taking my time getting a hotel early, grabbing dinner/beer, etc.

I went I25/90 north then over to I15 and entered Canada through Montana, went through Edmonton and then west. My last night in Canada going north was in Haynes Junction. After that, it is still about 3/4 of a day to get to Anchorage.

- just a shame you’re introducing your RAM to road salt.

He won't see much or any salt in that part of Alaska. Most of the time they just scrape the roads clean and maybe some chemical treatment on the intersections. Good tires are kind of important.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just addressing this. I did El Paso to Anchorage and back. 2008 going north and 2012 going south. It was maybe a 4 and a half day drive really taking my time getting a hotel early, grabbing dinner/beer, etc.

I went I25/90 north then over to I15 and entered Canada through Montana, went through Edmonton and then west. My last night in Canada going north was in Haynes Junction. After that, it is still about 3/4 of a day to get to Anchorage.

He won't see much or any salt in that part of Alaska. Most of the time they just scrape the roads clean and maybe some chemical treatment on the intersections. Good tires are kind of important.
Take it from a guy who grew up in Alaska and has driven “the Highway” more times than I can count - that Haines Junction to Anchorage is a solid eleven to twelve hour drive in optimum conditions. Are you certain about the driving time from El Paso to Anchorage (3890 miles) as it has to be more as it always takes us 5 days from Anchorage to Houston (4150 miles)…it took me that long to go from Anchorage to Houston doing team driving with very few stops.

Last edited:

1D32319

Reaction score
Are you certain about the driving time from El Paso to Anchorage (3890 miles) as it has to be more as it always takes us 5 days from Anchorage to Houston (4150 miles)…it took me that long to go from Anchorage to Houston doing team driving with very few stops.

Yes.
Going north.
Left El Paso at noon. Overnight in Colorado Springs, CO--->Belgrade, MT--->Whitecourt, Al---->Fort Nelson, BC---Haines Junction, YT---->got to Anchorage around 3PM. I wanbted to spend the night in Whitehorse, but EVERY hotel was booked for something. Hauled *** to Haines Junction.

Going south
Left Anchorage at 7. Overnight in Haines Junction, Fort Nelson, Edmonton, spent a few hours at the Safelite place in Great Falls replacing the windshield, night in Billings, night in Pueblo, got to El Paso about 1 PM.

Strike that--a little over 5 taking my time. Math ain't my strong suit.

Users who are viewing this thread