5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing, some questions.

ramffml

Reaction score
I pulled a 4000 pound trailer for the first time this week. I've never pulled anything this big before in my life so keep that in mind.

Dealer setup the husky WDH and truck was sitting level after connecting. I found it to be a little "spongy" at times over rough roads, and sometimes felt big trucks tugging on the trailer. When I got home several hours later, only the rear of the hitch had marking on it, where the two still shafts of the WDH rest on the trailer bracket; so it means the bars of the hitch were not sitting flat/level against the bracket, the front showed no markings (brand new hitch). Does that mean I can improve my sway control by tweaking the WDH? Is it just a matter of pulling out 1 or 2 washers and angling the hitch up a bit? What about bigger rims, so less sidewall. Running 18 inch rims right now, would moving to 20's help?

Second question; I towed at just above freeway speed; 103 km/h, say 62 mph. Engine stayed in 6th gear at 2100 - 2200 rpms. Hitting a hill in the road it would downshift to 5th, or a big hill it went down to fourth. Is it OK to tow for hours in 6th gear? I have the 3.21.

Third question; I started off in tow haul mode, but found it really revved out high and long. Later I switched it off and used gear limiter to keep it in 6. Is that OK?

raven_DT

Reaction score
1. Look up the setup info for your WDH. Chances are that you will do a better job, than the dealer, setting up the hitch once you read the instructions. There are far too many stories of people relying on the RV place where they purchased their trailer to properly setup the WDH, with poor results. Just because they sell TTs and WDHs doesn't always mean that they setup the WDH properly. In addition, you will need to know how to make adjustments to your setup. Adjust your tire air pressure to at least 40 psi when towing, refer to your tire sidewall for max tire pressure ranges. Check you tire pressures, truck and TT as if you are OCD, it will save you a blowout. Even better invest in a TT TPMS, they are worth their weight in gold. 18s offer a better ride quality, 20s would offer less sidewall flex but a less compliant ride. IMO, I would invest in LT tires if you plan on towing often. Our 2500 had 18s but they were LTs and rock solid. Many of these Ram come with spongy passenger tires...
2. These engines will rev when towing, not an issue. I came from a 2500 6.7 CTD where we never saw more than 1600rpms towing, it takes a little getting use to. Keep an eye on your oil temp, oil pressure and coolant temps. Towing 4K you should be well within your towing envelope (if you have the towing package).
3. I always use tow/haul mode because it shifts at a higher rpm (into the peak hp/torque band), holds gears and offers a more aggressive grade shifting, important if your towing in hills and/or mountains.
Enjoy and be safe. Plenty of knowledgeable people on this board that are very helpful. Maybe one of those people will reply to your post...:)

Last edited:

hotjava66

Reaction score
I pulled a 4000 pound trailer for the first time this week. I've never pulled anything this big before in my life so keep that in mind.

Dealer setup the husky WDH and truck was sitting level after connecting. I found it to be a little "spongy" at times over rough roads, and sometimes felt big trucks tugging on the trailer. When I got home several hours later, only the rear of the hitch had marking on it, where the two still shafts of the WDH rest on the trailer bracket; so it means the bars of the hitch were not sitting flat/level against the bracket, the front showed no markings (brand new hitch). Does that mean I can improve my sway control by tweaking the WDH? Is it just a matter of pulling out 1 or 2 washers and angling the hitch up a bit? What about bigger rims, so less sidewall. Running 18 inch rims right now, would moving to 20's help?

Second question; I towed at just above freeway speed; 103 km/h, say 62 mph. Engine stayed in 6th gear at 2100 - 2200 rpms. Hitting a hill in the road it would downshift to 5th, or a big hill it went down to fourth. Is it OK to tow for hours in 6th gear? I have the 3.21.

Third question; I started off in tow haul mode, but found it really revved out high and long. Later I switched it off and used gear limiter to keep it in 6. Is that OK?
In relation to tow haul mode, I found mine to hold a lower gear way to long after cresting a hill. I believe it’s more of a learning thing, once you run in it for a while it does improve. Also found that running in cruise control seems to make it want to hold a lower gear. If I drive it manually I can burp it up to the next gear and gently accelerate to speed.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score

Did you have to raise the trailer while connected to the truck to get the bars in place? I had a similar equalizer and if you didn't raise it up it was very hard to get the bars in place due to the tension. I'd go back over your installation 4000lbs isn't a lot for a WDH so the trailer should have stayed put right behind you. Will 20's help, yes but only due to the smaller stiffer sidewall. I tow with the factory 22" sport package rims and I have a set of rebel wheels and tires and the 22's feel much better over 6000lbs. It's a trade off for a softer ride. LT Tires will also help solve this, I run Michelin LT's on my F350 but it's comparing these trucks is apples to oranges.

I pull in tow haul all the time and let the computer figure things out. No reason to think I can do better and if you don't like revving the nuts off the motor, just get a diesel or an ecoboost. My wife hates the sound of the motor so much that she will drive herself and the kids when we go camping.

Sure it's ok, it's your truck. If it doesn't want to do what your asking it will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread