5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Question

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
remember everyone
these are half ton trucks
one ton 2000 pounds
half ton 1000 pounds
anymore then that feel lucky

weigh your truck
my weights
Truck weighs as it sits 5440 pounds aug 5, 2022 loaded with my stuff and NO people

6900 GVWR sticker on door, minus 5440 equals 1460 pounds to carry ram site states 1567 carry pounds, 107 pounds difference. so I added 107 pounds of stuff.

so I would need a tongue weight of under 500 pounds, because after adding people a luggage that 1460 pounds would be gone.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is a crew cab, 4x4, Laramie, with additional bells and whistles. So, one of the heaviest 1500s you can buy. Certainly near the top of the range. And my payload rating is still 1,633 on the sticker.

I still have no idea how you can option 600 additional lbs. of weight to one of these trucks. But that's neither here nor there...

If I was shopping full size trucks and I saw 1,000 lbs. of payload on the door jamb placard I would immediately pass and move on to the next truck in the row.

None of this answers his question though. How can he add payload? Well technically he can't. But he can make his truck carry the weight better with Timbren SES kit, or air bags, and/or a good weight distribution hitch. If he loves his truck and doesn't want to trade it off, that would be the next step.

PDiddy

Reaction score
It could, yes. Ultimately it comes down to options not trim level.

The real weight is added in eTorque, Pano, 33g tank, RamBoxes, Multi-function tailgate, Off-Road package, 4x4, etc.
I have etorque and still have 1655 payload in my Laramie. When I was shopping for my 1500, I did notice the off road package reduced it by several hundred lbs. so I ruled out getting one with that package.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have etorque and still have 1655 payload in my Laramie. When I was shopping for my 1500, I did notice the off road package reduced it by several hundred lbs. so I ruled out getting one with that package.

My '20 was a crew cab, 4x4, North Edition (off road package plus sport package plus some other stuff), and had some additional options PLUS the heavy diesel engine and it still had a payload rating of 1,611 lbs.

PDiddy

Reaction score
My '20 was a crew cab, 4x4, North Edition (off road package plus sport package plus some other stuff), and had some additional options PLUS the heavy diesel engine and it still had a payload rating of 1,611 lbs.

So maybe they are just hiding kilos of cocaine in random frames? Lol, I don’t know. It was consistent for me though. I looked at three or four with the off road package and they all had lower payloads. But I’m certainly no expert.

PeteC

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘22 Longhorn. 5.7Etorque, 4x4, Off Road Package, all the electronic crap, no MFT, no ram boxes, no pano roof. Payload is 1,308lbs on Door Sticker and RAM website. If I had the Pano Roof, MFT, & RAM Boxes I bet I’d be around 1k lbs.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘22 Longhorn. 5.7Etorque, 4x4, Off Road Package, all the electronic crap, no MFT, no ram boxes, no pano roof. Payload is 1,308lbs on Door Sticker and RAM website. If I had the Pano Roof, MFT, & RAM Boxes I bet I’d be around 1k lbs.
Interestingly, I have the pano roof and a lot of "electronic crap" like auto steps, and my payload is 1306. It seems to me that the MFT and Ram Boxes appear to add the most weight.

Users who are viewing this thread