5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing my 32' travel trailer

Mike W

Reaction score
Well, after a bit more thought and deliberation on needs vs. wants and our long-term goals, we landed on a shorter trailer without the separate bunkhouse. While I was adamant about the separate space initially, reality stepped in to remind me that I haven't towed a trailer of any significance in size in nearly 20 years so it might be a good thing to ease back into it :ROFLMAO: . That, coupled with the desire to have a bit more flexibility with camping sites and budget (i.e. hitch, accessories, gear, camera, etc.), we ultimately landed us on the Freedom Express Ultra Light 257BHS. It was a close competition between the Express and a few other models with this type of floor plan (Bullet, Jay Feather, Lance, etc.) but the Coachmen ended up on top for us. We're working through procuring one now, so it's possible we'll end up with one by the end of the year. As soon as we have the green light on a purchase, I'm going to go ahead and pick up a Propride 3P. Fingers crossed!
Nice TT. Its all about creating memories with the kids. You said your kids are little and you have plenty of room to grow. I had a pop up when my kids were that small so your way ahead of the curve than I was. Enjoy and get out there and camp.

Reaction score
Dethmers is an excellent dolly that can handle heavy vehicles. But, be aware that the dolly alone weighs close to 700 pounds. It is easy to move on level pavement or hard ground with the jack wheel down. However, on uneven, soft, or hilly ground, it takes two people. Loading and unloading are smooth once you get the hang of it, and handling at highway speeds is smooth–you don’t know it’s back there except for the added weight of dolly and towed vehicle.

bonacroots

Reaction score
Well I finally had the chance to pull my travel trailer and I am very impressed with this truck! I have a 32' triple slide Jayco trailer. It is bumper pull and weighs 8400lbs dry. So loaded it is probably somewhere between 9500 and 10,000lbs. I have to say, this truck pulls just as good or better than all 3 diesels I have owned prior to this truck but with a MUCH smoother ride! Note the picture is without the weight distribution attached. When the weight distribution is attached it squats less. Also my average speed was 60mph which kept me in 6th gear. View attachment 8125
so happy to find this post. Just posted a thread about the same thing. Sold my 2014 ram and now just bought a 32' keystone light travel trailer so need a truck again. trailer weight is 7400 dry and 833 tongue weight and truck will have 6.4'bed, 3.92 rear and wdh along with offroad package and max tow 11320 and payload of 1720 i think if i remember right so was nervous before ordering truck that I may beed a 2500 but dont want a 3/4ton because only tow around 6 times a year and never to far distance just onto beach locally usually with old travel trailers

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
so happy to find this post. Just posted a thread about the same thing. Sold my 2014 ram and now just bought a 32' keystone light travel trailer so need a truck again. trailer weight is 7400 dry and 833 tongue weight and truck will have 6.4'bed, 3.92 rear and wdh along with offroad package and max tow 11320 and payload of 1720 i think if i remember right so was nervous before ordering truck that I may beed a 2500 but dont want a 3/4ton because only tow around 6 times a year and never to far distance just onto beach locally usually with old travel trailers
Should be fine at 6x a year. Just keep the tire pressures up and the speeds down.

You may exceed your payload with passengers and gear in the bed but likely not the rear axle.

Get it weighed at a CAT scale to be sure though.

bonacroots

Reaction score
I plan on it. I got the camper for free so cant pass it up. Picking it up on nc next weekend with a diesel truck and getting it weighed on way up to verify that it but have all the specs and since it’s a ultra lite numbers all seem to work

Pristine1

Reaction score
I plan on it. I got the camper for free so cant pass it up. Picking it up on nc next weekend with a diesel truck and getting it weighed on way up to verify that it but have all the specs and since it’s a ultra lite numbers all seem to work
You can make that work. Especially if it’s just locally. Pack the trailer with your gear. Nothing in the bed unless it’s very light. I just pack my trailer only. People and big gulps in the truck. All the goods In the trailer Evenly distributed.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can make that work. Especially if it’s just locally. Pack the trailer with your gear. Nothing in the bed unless it’s very light. I just pack my trailer only. People and big gulps in the truck. All the goods In the trailer Evenly distributed.
Yeah you have to watch the payloads for the ultra-lights, they shave overhead clearance for ceilings, cut back on floor stiffening frame, everything. No walk-on roofs is common...

Users who are viewing this thread