5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing-MPG Real Numbers

TAK

Reaction score
Just got back from a 4 day glamping trip. Total miles 90 ...flat terrain interstate approx. 65 mph, pulling 3800# Airstream. 11.5 mpg.

rzims

Reaction score
We took our trailer this summer up in to the sierras (trailer about 3700lbs) about 300 miles round trip and averaged 10.6 measured
A couple of weeks ago we did another 300 mile round trip to Paso Robles (almost all flat) and average 12.4 measured

KMach

Reaction score
I completed my first light tow couple weekends ago. From the NY Adrondacks to Berlin NH for a day RZR adventure. I have an open 6.5x10 galvanized steel trailer that is around 1600lbs empty, and the RZR is about 1600lbs respectively. The whole trip is uphill it seems. Had the cruise set at 55 in the 50mph zones, 72 in the 65s and 75 in the 70mph zones. I used 89 fuel and it was around a high of 20 degrees. I reset the trip fuel mileage at the beginning of the trip. 230 miles each way. I averaged 11.9mpg. I also hand calculated it and got 11.9mpg. I used tow haul the whole way and on most of the flats on the interstate it would go into 8th. Overall truck towed great. Non etorque hemi with 3.92s and ORG. Broke 3,000 miles on the way home. RZR still has more miles than the truck so thats a good thing!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Basically any hemi with either gears on the "average" highway (not climbing Rocky Mtn passes all day) and towing <8k is going to be 8-11 mpg. High winds, traffic, going too fast etc will likely see 6-8mpg. Pulling a hybrid or tent trailer will likely be 10-12 mpg.
Nothing much is going to change those numbers, it's physics.
There's always weather conditions/traffic/driver's differences/truck being lifted/ yadda yadda yadda to take into consideration.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Towing from South Jersey to TN the end of april. It'll be the first time we've towed the enclosed trailer anywhere far and fuel stops are a real concern with only a 26gal tank. We are figuring atleast 4 stops eachway for fuel. If I get closer to 10mpg I could stretch it to only 3.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Towing from South Jersey to TN the end of april. It'll be the first time we've towed the enclosed trailer anywhere far and fuel stops are a real concern with only a 26gal tank. We are figuring atleast 4 stops eachway for fuel. If I get closer to 10mpg I could stretch it to only 3.
I'd not "stretch" it unless I was carrying a 5 gallon gas can with the proper hose to refuel with. Yes you will be in the eastern part of the country (as opposed to places out west where gas stations can be few and far in between) but still. Stop 4 times, get out and stretch, get a quick 5-10 gallons and back on the road you go.
With my kidneys stopping enough is never the issue. It's making any progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online