5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Mirror swap - 4th gen mirrors onto 5th gen

SS2112

Reaction score
my question to you guys familiar to the ram mirrors. is there a replacement glass for the tow mirrors that is just one piece. I am not liking the split mirror so far.
I'm not aware of any.

SS2112

Reaction score
I believe the rear window defroster feed runs right down the driver door sill..I was going to grab that, and run a wire thru the door boot, out the mirror, and connect to the 4th gen heated glass..my glass is ordered..I will take some photos post up when complete..
Were you able to get your heated mirror glass wired into the rear defrost wiring?

mageorge74

Reaction score
Does anyone know if 4th gen trailer tow mirrors with power turn in would fit on a 5th gen ram that has standard mirrors with power turn in?

SS2112

Reaction score
For real? I was looking for a good spot to pry or a screw thinking dang, the black cover must be glued together. I’ll give it another look! Thanks for the info
mike_ct, Did you go any further with the mirror glass swap?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mike_ct, Did you go any further with the mirror glass swap?
Hi, yes...what I ended up doing, was ordering heated glass. (I used a Laramie vin w/ tow mirrors for parts lookup). The glass popped right into my tow mirrors, then I popped the mirror arm cap off, ran a wire into the door, and thru the boot. I spliced the rear window defogger feed to runs under the driver side sill plate. Works perfect, they get nice and toasty, off the factory button.

Also, because its using the factory rear window defogger feed, when I remote start my truck and it turns on the rear defogger, my mirrors also warm up, which is nice.

I actually ordered the heated glass w/ blind spot indicator, so I have the little triangles on the mirror. One day, I want to try to get the blind spot sensors (they go in the tail lights) and wire them up as well.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Hey man, do you have a link for the mirror glass that you ordered? I'm interested in doing this swap as well.

SS2112

Reaction score
Hi, yes...what I ended up doing, was ordering heated glass. (I used a Laramie vin w/ tow mirrors for parts lookup). The glass popped right into my tow mirrors, then I popped the mirror arm cap off, ran a wire into the door, and thru the boot. I spliced the rear window defogger feed to runs under the driver side sill plate. Works perfect, they get nice and toasty, off the factory button.

Also, because its using the factory rear window defogger feed, when I remote start my truck and it turns on the rear defogger, my mirrors also warm up, which is nice.

I actually ordered the heated glass w/ blind spot indicator, so I have the little triangles on the mirror. One day, I want to try to get the blind spot sensors (they go in the tail lights) and wire them up as well.
OK, Thanks for the info.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey man, do you have a link for the mirror glass that you ordered? I'm interested in doing this swap as well.

I don't have the link from when I ordered, but its part number 68401394AA and 68401395AA..that's heated tow mirror glass w/ blind spot indicator

If you just want heated, they are cheaper, ~$25 - compared to $55. The blind spot requires additional hardware and stuff, which I haven't figure out yet, but maybe one day. But the heat, is easy.

Dark Blue/White tracer, wire is in the bundle under the carpet, under the drive door sill floor place. There is a plastic wire holder you can open, and then untap the bundle of wires. I stuck the dark blue/white tracer with a test light and made sure it was on when the rear defogger is on..I think there are 3 dark blue/white wires if I remember. Its a heavier wire, not one of the skinny ones.

Heat only is 68401392AA and 68401393AA

Here's a link to the heated ones.

SS2112

Reaction score
I don't have the link from when I ordered, but its part number 68401394AA and 68401395AA..that's heated tow mirror glass w/ blind spot indicator

If you just want heated, they are cheaper, ~$25 - compared to $55. The blind spot requires additional hardware and stuff, which I haven't figure out yet, but maybe one day. But the heat, is easy.

Dark Blue/White tracer, wire is in the bundle under the carpet, under the drive door sill floor place. There is a plastic wire holder you can open, and then untap the bundle of wires. I stuck the dark blue/white tracer with a test light and made sure it was on when the rear defogger is on..I think there are 3 dark blue/white wires if I remember. Its a heavier wire, not one of the skinny ones.

Heat only is 68401392AA and 68401393AA

Here's a link to the heated ones.

Thanks! What did you do for the ground wire? Also, I'm assuming that for the passenger side mirror, you ran the wire under the dash to the drivers' side sill plate?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! What did you do for the ground wire? Also, I'm assuming that for the passenger side mirror, you ran the wire under the dash to the drivers' side sill plate?
I grounded to metal under the dash, where I noticed other ground wires. For pass side, yes I ran wire under dash to driver side.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, the hardest part was running a wire thru the door boot. You’ll have to remove the speaker and reach in thru the hole to grab it. I removed the boot from the door jam, and there’s enough wire to pull it out a few inches, and you’ll see there extra cavities with no wires. Pick a large one, and shove a metal snake in, and feel it thru the rubber boot and guide it towards the door, then pull your wire back.

I chose to pull extra wires, because I don’t want to mess with the stupid boots again.

I ran extra wires, because while the door panel was off, I added some single white leds for “ambient” lights. There is a ambient light wire going up the A pillar harness. I put a single 5mm above the door handle shining down, and a single 5mm above the lower map pocket. I added an additional misc resistor trial and error, to get the desired dim background light. It looks awesome.

I also ran a extra wire that carries 12v running light signal. While I was in the door panel, I found the mirror turn signal wire, added 2 diodes and a resistor, and now my tow mirror turn signals are medium brightness solid with running lights on, and flash full brightness with turn signals. This is a common 4th gen mod, and there are even pre made harnesses for this.

Good luck man!

SS2112

Reaction score
Honestly, the hardest part was running a wire thru the door boot. You’ll have to remove the speaker and reach in thru the hole to grab it. I removed the boot from the door jam, and there’s enough wire to pull it out a few inches, and you’ll see there extra cavities with no wires. Pick a large one, and shove a metal snake in, and feel it thru the rubber boot and guide it towards the door, then pull your wire back.

I chose to pull extra wires, because I don’t want to mess with the stupid boots again.

I ran extra wires, because while the door panel was off, I added some single white leds for “ambient” lights. There is a ambient light wire going up the A pillar harness. I put a single 5mm above the door handle shining down, and a single 5mm above the lower map pocket. I added an additional misc resistor trial and error, to get the desired dim background light. It looks awesome.

I also ran a extra wire that carries 12v running light signal. While I was in the door panel, I found the mirror turn signal wire, added 2 diodes and a resistor, and now my tow mirror turn signals are medium brightness solid with running lights on, and flash full brightness with turn signals. This is a common 4th gen mod, and there are even pre made harnesses for this.

Good luck man!
Thanks a lot for your input! Much appreciated!

Jimb003

Reaction score
I know this is an old topic but, i just picked up a 2020 Tradesman with no tow mirrors, they are powered and heated tho.

is it possible to fit a set of 4th gen tow mirrors on the truck and all options work?

looking at buying these

https://www.amazon.ca/ROADFAR-Mirro...8-16227------------&vehicleName=2019+Ram+1500
Where you able to get your mirrors? I just bought a 2020 with power and heat but non tow. Ordered a set for a 4th off Amazon as well. Was wondering if you installed and how it went.

Users who are viewing this thread