5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing/car hauler/winch question

Out2k

Reaction score
So i have a 22 rebel GT, and i have been looking into ways to mount my winch, i really like the idea of the hidden winch setup in the front, or maybe to a whole front bumper setup, and weld a hitch receiver to it.
Here is the problems. I really do not have the need to have multiple winches as i wont be using it daily. So i thought, with a hitch mounted winch plate for the winch so then, if i put a "tow" hitch up front (normally used for hauling my truck behind a motor home), and or a front bumper and grill wrap kit and mount a hitch receiver to it ,and with a hitch receiver mounted on the front of my car hauler trailer. Now i can use my winch in the front, move it to the rear, and also move it to the trailer, to load a car or my tractor if needed. 1 winch , 3 spots.

1: Any one tried this? If i went with a hidden winch instead and only mounted it up front, has anyone tried to trailer load with a front mounted winch? I think the downward pull and plus a cable under the truck to the rear, even with pulleys is iffy. . .Could i just hook to the trailer once i got there from a front mounted hitch, "if i had the hidden winch and tow hitch", winch load the car or tractor then turn the truck around and tow it?

I just have not found a whole front bumper kit, that i think will look ok, and just weld a hitch receiver to it. Plus the 14 to 1800 price tag kind of turns my head for not a daily usage.

Witch is why i was thinking a front tow hitch kit to use instead, giving me the 3 point options still. Front, Rear of truck and trailer.
Looking for any experience dealing with this, and or opinion's. I made it as far as now owning a winch and a hitch mounted plate, and have power plugs ran to front and rear of the truck. Now i am second guessing what my best move is.
I did think of just going a police style push bumper and welding a hitch receiver to it, but i do not want to disturb the front alert/parking sensors as well.

Thanks for any feedback.

I just got a new trailer and did a lot of research on ways to install the winch for my new setup. I don’t have exact experience but I did find a few examples where people were using hitch receivers to mount their winches so they would be able to move it from trailer to truck. Do not recall seeing one that was stealth mounted on the front like your specifically looking to do. One thing to consider is the controller will need to be mounted to or part of the winch. I used a smaller winch so it’s separate.

I just got a new trailer and did a lot of research on ways to install the winch for my new setup. I don’t have exact experience but I did find a few examples where people were using hitch receivers to mount their winches so they would be able to move it from trailer to truck. Do not recall seeing one that was stealth mounted on the front like your specifically looking to do. One thing to consider is the controller will need to be mounted to or part of the winch. I used a smaller winch so it’s separate.
Yeah, i am fine not using the stealth or hidden winch, that would be my ideal setup for the front keeping the factory look, but since i do not think its possible to winch from the front, if i had to load something on my trailer, i will look into a whole bumper setup and weld a receiver to it so i can still move it to the back or trailer. Just really cant justify spending that much money on a front bumper for possible such low usage. Also my winch has a wireless remote so i just need access to reach the spool lock switch. Thanks for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.
Back