5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing a Bobcat T550

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I have on order a 1500 EcoDiesel with the 3.92. Based on other trucks I've looked up similar to mine, I'm anticipating a tow rating around 9600#. Our small company is considering purchasing a used Bobcat T550 instead of renting one repeatedly (we're developing a 19 house subdivision and could have future construction projects down the road.)

My question has two parts. First, does anyone know trailers well enough to have an idea what the weight of a trailer that could carry this Bobcat would be? Also, the operating weight of the T550 is 7557#. For the sake of argument, if the trailer was 2000#, that would put me right at my tow rating. I don't know what my GCVWR would be since I don't have the truck yet, but you may be able to speak from experience. If it worked out to be right at the limit of the trucks' specs, is there any reason I wouldn't be safe towing it locally? Maybe it doesn't matter, but we'd be in small towns and no more than probably 45mph roads. I have no idea what the tongue weight on such a trailer might be.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
You’d be over GVWR and payload with the tongue weight. A properly rated trailer would be 2000-3500lbs by it self. Add mud on the unit and you’ll be north of 10,000lbs and over GCWR as well. That’s firmly 2500 and best suited for 3500 territory.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, base truck weight will be about 5750lbs plus driver and hitch puts it at 6000lbs assuming nothing else in the truck. Add 10,000lb trailer and bobcat and it’s over GCWR.

Agreed it’s easily over GCWR.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’d be over GVWR and payload with the tongue weight. A properly rated trailer would be 2000-3500lbs by it self. Add mud on the unit and you’ll be north of 10,000lbs and over GCWR as well. That’s firmly 2500 and best suited for 3500 territory.
What if I wash the mud off before transporting it each time? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. I'll explore smaller Bobcats, if we decide to do anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online