5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow this 5th wheel

Bearwhiz

Reaction score
Please look at the specs from my truck and then the specs on the first 5th wheel listed on the 2nd chart. Will I be able to pull this off on flat, short distances? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• truck ratings.JPG
    truck ratings.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 62
  • trailer specs.JPG
    trailer specs.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 63

andyc16

Reaction score
I would be worried about rear gvwr

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please look at the specs from my truck and then the specs on the first 5th wheel listed on the 2nd chart. Will I be able to pull this off on flat, short distances? Thanks in advance.

More info is needed, what truck do you have? Is it a DT or DS truck? Trim level, cab style, and rear end ration all factor in heavily. The sticker next to the one you took a picture of is your vehicle loading sticker, and will give you your trucks empty payload number.

Also, there are three trailers listed in the second chart. Which one are you looking at, the numbers for the pin weights vary by 600 lbs. That's not insignificant. And don't forget, you need to factor in the weight of the 5th wheel hitch as well in all this. And all of the trailers listed are well into the towing capacity of a 3.92 DT truck, so if you don't have the 3.92 gears, then it's a no-go already.

Bottom line is though, despite what trailer mfg's may say, most half ton trucks are not rated or designed to pull 5th wheel trailers. The only truck mfg to publish 5th wheel numbers is Ford, all the others specifically leave out 5th wheel towing ratings and instructions, some even specifying to not tow a 5th wheel at all.

Bearwhiz

Reaction score
More info is needed, what truck do you have? Is it a DT or DS truck? Trim level, cab style, and rear end ration all factor in heavily. The sticker next to the one you took a picture of is your vehicle loading sticker, and will give you your trucks empty payload number.

Also, there are three trailers listed in the second chart. Which one are you looking at, the numbers for the pin weights vary by 600 lbs. That's not insignificant. And don't forget, you need to factor in the weight of the 5th wheel hitch as well in all this. And all of the trailers listed are well into the towing capacity of a 3.92 DT truck, so if you don't have the 3.92 gears, then it's a no-go already.

Bottom line is though, despite what trailer mfg's may say, most half ton trucks are not rated or designed to pull 5th wheel trailers. The only truck mfg to publish 5th wheel numbers is Ford, all the others specifically leave out 5th wheel towing ratings and instructions, some even specifying to not tow a 5th wheel at all.

2019 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab, 3.92 rear end, 5.7 Lone Star.

andyc16

Reaction score
Agree on the payload sticker. If I read the post correctly he is looking at the first one which has a pretty high hit h weight dry let alone any gear or passengers.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I read the post correctly he is looking at the first one Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Ahhh thanks, missed that part.

OP I highly doubt your crew cab has over 1,600lbs of payload, and that's before you even get in the truck, never mind the hitch, gear, other passengers, etc. It's gonna be a no from me dawg.

andyc16

Reaction score
Legally a no for me. Truck might do it but it will never do it legally.

Users who are viewing this thread