5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mode

John J

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the use of tow mode and the gear lock out. I have a 2019 4x4 with 3.55 gears and the Ecodiesel. I tow a camper that is just under 7000#.Should I lock out 8th gear or just let the tow mode do it's own thing. I want to travel into the mountains of the Carolinas on my way to New York from Florida to see my family. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Put it in tow/haul mode, it will still go to 8th gear if it's needed, but will hold gears longer. I wouldn't restrict 8th gear. Tow/Haul mode's big thing is downshifting when braking, it downshifts faster the harder you brake while also not upshifting until you touch the throttle again. Even when coasting after braking, it won't upshift unless you touch the throttle again.

It's actually recommended in the manual to put your transmission in tow/haul mode even when not towing if you are in the mountains to keep the transmission cooler.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the use of tow mode and the gear lock out. I have a 2019 4x4 with 3.55 gears and the Ecodiesel. I tow a camper that is just under 7000#.Should I lock out 8th gear or just let the tow mode do it's own thing. I want to travel into the mountains of the Carolinas on my way to New York from Florida to see my family. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just use tow/haul mode. If you notice the transmission constantly downshifting to 7th, then back again, lock out 8th. Otherwise, just leave it alone

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tow/Haul mode's big thing is downshifting when braking, it downshifts faster the harder you brake while also not upshifting until you touch the throttle again. Even when coasting after braking, it won't upshift unless you touch the throttle again.

Yep, the improved engine braking is the biggest advantage I get from using tow/haul. I'll use it just for this reason even if towing a few thousand pounds on fairly flat highways.

John J

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response and the great information.

Users who are viewing this thread