5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tool / Gear / Recovery / Utility Boxes (VEDC)

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been searching and looking to pick up some gear boxes for VEDC (vehicle-every-day-carry). Something possibly modular so there's an EDC box and a 'Trip & Trail' ready box I can just toss in. I've come across the Plano Sportsman's Trunk line (the 1819)

With the short bed and a Lomax cover, most tool boxes aren't an option as I've seen by searching either by height or mounting

The sliding toolbox is an option and allows for under-the-box items to slide in though it's shallow, but it looks cumbersome to remove and move + likely too large to put in the rear of the cab

I'm planning to use it for:
EDC:
  • Tow straps + D-Rings
  • Tie Downs
  • Ratchet Straps
  • Rope / patch kit / first aid
  • mini shovel
  • flash light / spare power banks
  • short extension cord (truck has 110v)
  • jumper cables
  • safety / PPE gear
Trip & Trail:
  • portable winch
  • axle straps / tree savers / winch block
  • fire gear / axe / machete
  • etc (im drawing a blank at the moment)

Requirements/options:
  1. Fit under tonneau cover
  2. Option to stack
  3. Sized to move into cab rear floor if required (fitting with either seat down is a plus)
  4. easy to move (handles/grips/tie points)
is this the holy grail or would better options exist?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with rambox :LOL:

But I also have the Plano box for bigger items. Every thing on the first list I keep in the ramboxes

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@edrclark I go back and forth on spec'ing the RamBox - I like the narrow bedsides but also like the storage, no going back now haha

Thanks for the link @302Visuals , I like how that bin is built!

So an update - I went with this Husky 45 Gallon rolling tote - I absolutely hate home depot (it's a long story, I'll forever recommend other stores), but at $23 that was a huge bin for a cheap price. I also bought a 15 Gal version for the 'EDC' side of things and will use the 45 Gal likely for Trip & Trail gear.

I'll post pics later but in short, it fits under the Lomax with an inch to spare (i have a 3/4" mat protecting the bed), the wheels are good, size is great.

I also saw the Plano 1819 (non 'heavy duty) in store for $24, and it's flimsy , would not recommend for the price unless size was required.

Will also update with a gear pic and list, would like to hear what everyone else finds worth carrying!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a STERLITE myself (it is currently in the rear of the Durango, so I'll have to see if it fits under the cover in the truck once it arrives).

For smaller stuffs, I got a few collapsible bins that look like the following from my local Shopko when it recently closed. They were like $9 each. Store them away, pull out, un-fold, and instant storage. ( don't know the brand name -- lemme run out and look to see if I left any stickers on one or two) .. I got a red for the Durango (red leather stitching) and a blue for another vehicle.

EDIT: I was off .. the crates are called INSTACRATE : https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Collapsible-Distribution-Container-Attached/dp/B06XTZBM4M has similar ones.

Last edited:

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a STERLITE myself (it is currently in the rear of the Durango

EDIT: I was off .. the crates are called INSTACRATE : https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Collapsible-Distribution-Container-Attached/dp/B06XTZBM4M has similar ones.

I had to have wheels or I'd have used some flip top bins also; really convenient to use when travelling

Instacrates are awesome! I have two in the truck most of the time; great for quick gear grabs, groceries or just offhauling interior goods to the back if I need space.

Failed on taking a pic yesterday, I'll grab one at lunch today. so far the fit of the husky tote is like having a 45gal waterproof* trunk that rolls, not bad

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same reason I grabbed that STERLITE. Wheels and handle .. and stackable if I get more.

BWP

Reaction score
If you are a YETI brand guy and want to spend money that you don't need to this just came out in Grey and Tan. Typical YETI quality it is airtight. $250

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@BWP man that's some nice gear but way too $$ for a plastic box haha - I finally took one mediocre pic of the husky box in the back

You can see how close it is to the bottom of the lomax, but sitting on the rubber mat so it's a perfect fit IMO. Lengthwise it's touching the box at the front, and with one panel flipped, the handle is easily accessible but still under the middle panel. it's narrow, so it'll only take about 18" off the bed

Last edited:

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a better photo of a top down of the 45L Husky Box in the bed - tucked along the left side, you see it is nearly reachable from the tailgate (with the suspension down).

With the box turned perpendicular and placed against the front of the box, it hides directly under the front-most panel and still has about 1' to either side when pushed into a corner.

So far so good! One note though, as much as I wanted an 'all in one' box, it gets heavy real quick. a drop hitch, couple of folding camp chairs and loading blankets and it's easily a 'team lift' to get it out of the bed...

Users who are viewing this thread