5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too particular about the paint on new Ram?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I have read where some people do not want the dealer to wash and especially detail their new vehicle before picking it up for the first time. If the person washing or detailing the vehicle doesn't take care to use proper procedures, they could end up leaving minor scratches and swirl marks in the paint. I'm tempted to ask them not to wash or detail it when it arrives at the dealer. What do you guys and gals think?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I personally think that would be unwise. It needs to be spotless for your inspection. These things arrive filthy. Would hate for you to take delivery of some defects you couldn't see for all the crud.

I've been running mine thru an auto car wash since day 1. Life's too short to be worrying over car washes.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I were driving a Porsche limited edition then yes. As it stands I purchased trucks knowing that they will be on the road and stuff happens daily. On my one car purchase I sent my detailer there to do exactly that before I got there for pick up. This was before the days of ceramic coating. As suggested above having it cleaned allows you to see and point out any defects before taking said delivery. Good luck and please let us know what you’ve decided.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Get it cleaned up before accepting it from the dealer. Take the time tobinspect the truck inside and out.

In my case, I ended up having to fix a few scratches myself. The dealer cleared mine up but it was dusk before I actually got to inspect it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm waiting to take delivery of my new 2500 sometime this week... I instructed them to not wash the vehicle.
While the vehicle will be 'dirty', it isn't like it has actually been driven for any significant distance... it isn't so bad that you can't see any problem.

When I picked up they 1500 it was full of swirls and scratches from reusing crappy towels, it took a bit of work but I was able to get them removed. Yeah, this is a truck and not a showroom princess, but care and maintenance go a long way...

Whatever your choice, enjoy your new ride!

Jcalton

Reaction score
I'm new here, just traded my 4th gen for a 5th gen. Patriot Blue paint. It was in their overflow lot and parked under a tree so it was dirty. I joked with the sales person that I was feeling slightly guilty because I hadn't given my truck a wash and wax yet and had been making a lot of trips to the dump (actual dump, not convenience site so end up driving through dusty red clay that covers the truck). After seeing their truck I told her that mine was cleaner than theirs.

Anyways, to the paint issue. They detailed the truck and it was a rush job, still had some dirt spots that were missed completely, 2 scuffs were still there (could get them off by rubbing with your finger a couple times), and they put fine scratches all over the place. Passenger rear fender had quite a few scratches, none deep but just enough you could feel them when you ran your finger over it. 2 light scratches on the hood, a couple on the driver door. I had watched them drive the truck over from detailing and was inspecting the truck before my sales person was notified it was done. Walked into the showroom, found them and told them they should grab the sales manager and come look at the truck with me. Walked around and pointed out every scratch on the truck. I've done a fair bit of detailing and have the whole adams polishes line so I know I could get them out. But we came to an agreement, they are having the entire truck buffed and insuring to take care of the scratches. Once complete, I'm going to inspect the truck again before it leaves the facility. Because of the holidays they can't get me in until June 5th so I took pictures, they took pictures and I had them write up a letter saying they were aware of the scratches and that they would be fixed to my satisfaction at their expense.

Its a truck, it will be used as a truck. I'm not going to try to scratch, dent and ding the paint up. If it happens life moves on. But I atleast want to get it home and scratch it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread