5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much chrome, want new bumpers

BnB19Laramie

Reaction score
For me, there is too much chrome. I’ve seen a few posts about changing this, via vinyl or painting stuff. But, those are mostly on painted bumpers. Shops here won’t touch chrome bumpers, so it seems like my only option is to wrap them. I LOVE the way the color matched front end (bumper, grill and appliqué) looks and I would much prefer that than to wrap that stuff in black.

I cannot seem to find online anywhere to purchase an OEM bumpers and what costs that would incur.
And which grille / from where would fit my truck.

Any help in the right direction (or local info to central FL) would be greatly appreciated!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First where are you located ? Secondly I’m not sure if you truly are aware of the cost involved unless you do this on your own. You could try and post a wtt listing and see what comes of it. On another note did they not have any pkgs containing that when you purchased your Laramie ? Either way good luck and please keep us posted as to what you find please. :)

BnB19Laramie

Reaction score
First where are you located ? Secondly I’m not sure if you truly are aware of the cost involved unless you do this on your own. You could try and post a wtt listing and see what comes of it. On another note did they not have any pkgs containing that when you purchased your Laramie ? Either way good luck and please keep us posted as to what you find please. :)
Honestly, I purchased this truck used. I was looking at 2018s but found this truck for what I felt was a great price with 1k miles. I like it a lot, but want to make it my own. My only complaints (and only after reading more info here thanks to all you guys) is I would have opted for the 3.9 gearing and tried to not get all this chrome!

I’m not fully aware of the parts cost, which is what I’m trying to find out. I read one user on here paid $1k for a grill alone. It’s honestly the bumpers and mirror caps that get to me more than the grill but I want to slowly do them all.
Wrapping quote was $475 locally for mirrors, bumpers, appliqué as a “for now” fix. I’d rather put that towards swapping / painting parts.

I’m just outside Orlando, Fl

PorBoy

Reaction score
I would say contact Avondale In Arizona and order the body colored mirror caps for less then $70.00. The bumpers wellthat and the grill are exorbitant cost wise. It seems it cost more to make it our own after the factthen when we first pick them up. I like the chrome on certain color trucks as it breaks it up in my opinion. But I definitely understand why people do not want them.

Brrryan

Reaction score
Actually tackled this with my ‘08 Ram years ago. I had the same issue with shops stating they wouldn’t paint chrome. Finally found one that told me they just needed to be sandblasted prior to paint. Went that route and the finish held up like anything else. I don’t recall what I ended up paying though...

PorBoy

Reaction score
Several powder coating shops will sand blastyour wheels for you to take. Problem is you have to do the labor involved before and after.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if LineX would spray a chrome bumper? Sure they'd want it sanded first but then you'd be ahead of the paint crowd who then has to get PPF applied to keep the rock chips handled.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, I purchased this truck used. I was looking at 2018s but found this truck for what I felt was a great price with 1k miles. I like it a lot, but want to make it my own. My only complaints (and only after reading more info here thanks to all you guys) is I would have opted for the 3.9 gearing and tried to not get all this chrome!

I’m not fully aware of the parts cost, which is what I’m trying to find out. I read one user on here paid $1k for a grill alone. It’s honestly the bumpers and mirror caps that get to me more than the grill but I want to slowly do them all.
Wrapping quote was $475 locally for mirrors, bumpers, appliqué as a “for now” fix. I’d rather put that towards swapping / painting parts.

I’m just outside Orlando, Fl
Guardian Wraps in Winter Park can wrap whatever you want.

BnB19Laramie

Reaction score
Guardian Wraps in Winter Park can wrap whatever you want.
Spoke with them already. They won’t touch it. They claim they can’t warranty wrapping chrome so they referred to me to the other spot I went to last night.
If all else fails, I’ll do the wrap for now.

Does anyone know where to just buy the bumpers? My dealer is way overpriced on most things compared to another dealer I’ve used before. I might try giving them a call just to see...

BnB19Laramie

Reaction score
I would say contact Avondale In Arizona and order the body colored mirror caps for less then $70.00. The bumpers wellthat and the grill are exorbitant cost wise. It seems it cost more to make it our own after the factthen when we first pick them up. I like the chrome on certain color trucks as it breaks it up in my opinion. But I definitely understand why people do not want them.
Googled. Is Larry H the right dealership you’re referring to?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spoke with them already. They won’t touch it. They claim they can’t warranty wrapping chrome so they referred to me to the other spot I went to last night.
If all else fails, I’ll do the wrap for now.

Does anyone know where to just buy the bumpers? My dealer is way overpriced on most things compared to another dealer I’ve used before. I might try giving them a call just to see...
Interesting, he was doing this Ram chrome when I had him wrap the tailpanel of my Camaro.

IMG_20181111_102931951.jpg

BnB19Laramie

Reaction score
Interesting, he was doing this Ram chrome when I had him wrap the tailpanel of my Camaro.

View attachment 19759
Idk. The woman I spoke to said they won’t do it since they can’t warranty it. They have a $1,000 minimum and they do full wraps. So she said they refer smaller jobs to the company down the road.
Went there and said $475 to black wrap the chrome with a 1year warranty. Couldn’t find a color close enough to match.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, there is too much chrome. I’ve seen a few posts about changing this, via vinyl or painting stuff. But, those are mostly on painted bumpers. Shops here won’t touch chrome bumpers, so it seems like my only option is to wrap them. I LOVE the way the color matched front end (bumper, grill and appliqué) looks and I would much prefer that than to wrap that stuff in black.

I cannot seem to find online anywhere to purchase an OEM bumpers and what costs that would incur.
And which grille / from where would fit my truck.

Any help in the right direction (or local info to central FL) would be greatly appreciated!
Looked into this myself as I had to replace my front bumper do to minor collision. Cost for a new chrome front bumper was 420 dollars I believe it was 370 for primer ready to paint this is at my local dealers which were all pretty close in price (5 dealerships relatively close to me). Considered going to paint match because I had to buy a front bumper anyways but knew the rear would also have to be done. Here locally I was looking at 150 dollars per bumper to have the chrome stripped and about 300 per bumper to have them painted. So call it 1000 to have front and rear stripped and painted. that did not include the labor to remove the bumpers and strip all the plastics off or reinstallation of the bumpers and trim. Having changed the front bumper I can tell you it is a PITA to get all the plastic off without damaging anything. Slow and tedious to make sure you don't brake all the little plastic clips since you want to reuse everything. Not too mention the 50 or so bolts that also help hold everything on. Not hard just time consuming. The rear doesn't look to be nearly as bad as the front though. No cheap way around it. I found multiple dealerships that had the bumper for cheaper but the shipping cost was going to make near the same price as getting it from my local dealer. I also didn't want to deal with the what if factor of the bumper getting damaged during shipment and having to deal with a freight claim. Avondale as po boy mentioned had the bumper for 270 dollars but it was going to cost me 140 to get it from Arizona to California. I imagine Az to Fl is going to be even worse. And last but not least a lot these places online that sell Mopar parts are just dealerships in other states and their estimated shipping numbers are far from accurate. Make sure you call them and talk to them over the phone first. One website showed 8 dollars shipping when I called they said yeah that's an error, we haven't had to ship one yet and don't know the size of the box so its puts a generic number in the estimated shipping, They said I would haven gotten an email later that told me shipping was going to be about 200 dollars after I placed the order.

Paintable front bumper part number is 5ZB41TZZAC you can google search it and maybe find a dealer close by that can ship it pretty cheap. I don't have the part number for the rear. But it was similar cost wise.

This dealership is lakeland FL

RAB81

Reaction score
I’m trying to do the same thing. Thanks for placing the front-bumper part number. I’ve been searching for hours trying to find the part number for the paintable rear-bumper. Does anyone have it by chance?

Azahrad

Reaction score
I was just giving Part numbers from
My local dealer for paintable for my limited.

5zb41tzzad- front... although i cant find it anywhere, can find matching part number that ends in AB or AC though

68404438AA- rear

agjr85

Reaction score
Mirror caps are like $60 on ebay, OEM. So that solves that.
I have yet to look into it. It sucks since it is just a $195 option to get Laramie's with color matched bumpers from the factory.

I'd say wrap or if you are patient, keep an eye out on eBay/Craigslist. As more of these trucks are bought, more people swap bumpers out and crash them. Then you end up with random parts becoming available. Junkyards are also a good source, if you live in a large city.

Looks like several grills in black are going for $400+

Mohab

Reaction score
What did you end up doing with bumper and grill? I am in FL same color like your truck and trying to match color too

Lojack85

Reaction score
So I live in Texas just outside of Houston and have been getting what seems like really inconsistent prices from various shops. I love my truck but absolutely hate the chrome on it.
-small paint shop told me about $300 for the front bumper and $200 for the rear. He was trying to push me towards wrapping it and didn't seem like he was interested in doing the job.
-small wrap shop per the first guy's suggestion. He wanted $600 to wrap my front bumper and $400 to wrap the rear. Again, didn't seem interested at all.
-large paint shop in Houston. They wanted $2500 total. Are they putting gold flakes in the paint?!?!
Do these prices seem off to anyone else? I feel like two of those shops just gave me a high price so I would leave them alone.

I actually have a front and rear bumper that came off my dad's midnight lonestar edition. Should I just say screw it and have those painted? I don't really care for the sensor holes or the fact that it is flimsy plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread