5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau cover - best option for waterproof

Bink

Reaction score
So I just took ownership of my Ram Laramie Sport w/Ramboxes on Wednesday and I couldn't be happier. I have never had a truck before but have always wanted one. I was able to capitalize on some really good deals with this coronavirus going on and dealerships desperate to move inventory. I had a 2018 Traverse but after a handful of visits to the service department I am one and done with GM. I have 3 kids and this truck fits 3 car seats beautifully.
So that brings me to my one and only underlying issue. We will be utilizing the bed of the truck for luggage and stuff when we go on trips and take the truck. I need a bed cover that would completely block out rain, snow, dust, etc. while not breaking the bank. I have looked into tailgate seal kits as well to stop the elements from entering the bed. Security is also important, as is ease of install. I really appreciate all of the advice anyone can offer as I think owner opinions are more important than what manufacturers say about their products. I look forward to being a part of this forum :)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about what breaking the bank means.....I put a Leer hard fiberglass cover on my truck....color match was perfect.....I believe it was a model 700....cost was $1400. I love it....bed is totally dry at all times....even in really heavy rainstorms. I would recommend if price is in ballpark. Good luck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's going to be difficult to make the bed 100% waterproof, expecially with the ramboxes. The trouble spot is in the rear, on either end of the tailgate. There is a gap about three inches by an inch or so that no bed cover will cover. My Truxedo Lo Pro roll up soft cover came with pieces of weatherstripping to put in there. But water can still get in. Not sure if anyone else here has come up with a good solution for that, but I'm sure it's do-able.

Not sure about what breaking the bank means.....I put a Leer hard fiberglass cover on my truck....color match was perfect.....I believe it was a model 700....cost was $1400. I love it....bed is totally dry at all times....even in really heavy rainstorms. I would recommend if price is in ballpark. Good luck.
I doubt they make a version that will work with the rambox.

Bink

Reaction score
It's going to be difficult to make the bed 100% waterproof, expecially with the ramboxes. The trouble spot is in the rear, on either end of the tailgate. There is a gap about three inches by an inch or so that no bed cover will cover. My Truxedo Lo Pro roll up soft cover came with pieces of weatherstripping to put in there. But water can still get in. Not sure if anyone else here has come up with a good solution for that, but I'm sure it's do-able.

Thanks for the info about the gap by the tailgate...sounds like it was poorly designed. I was really hoping with a tailgate seal kit and good tonneau I could keep the bed free of the elements. I guess I don’t know much on this, first truck for me.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Probably not....good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread