5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To keep or sell and order a new one …?

Rsone 11

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2019 5th gen bighorn black out package 12inch screen 4x4 pretty loaded. My lease is up in 40 days I have 22,000 miles and I’m debating whether to purchase it outright and keep it, purchase it get possession of the title and then sell it to car max or trade it in at the dealer and order a new ram but it seems it’s impossible to find any in stock with the equivalence of what I have now. And if I order they are telling me 3 or 4 months for delivery. Just looking for some ideas advice And suggestion's what would you guys do???

wvinson

Reaction score
I was looking 6 months out from my '19 limited lease end while the market was still up, found a loaded limited at Mark Dodge, got top dollar for my '19, and reduced my monthly lease payment by $100. I had to drive out of state, but it was worth it.

ramhead

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2019 5th gen bighorn black out package 12inch screen 4x4 pretty loaded. My lease is up in 40 days I have 22,000 miles and I’m debating whether to purchase it outright and keep it, purchase it get possession of the title and then sell it to car max or trade it in at the dealer and order a new ram but it seems it’s impossible to find any in stock with the equivalence of what I have now. And if I order they are telling me 3 or 4 months for delivery. Just looking for some ideas advice And suggestion's what would you guys do???

I have 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn with just over 18000 miles I leased and will be buying it out. It's be problem free (knock wood) and there's no way I'm selling it...not when it costs a fortune for a new one plus the order backup/delays (and the dealers knowing they have the upper hand). I know the prices you can get for trucks like ours are very attractive right now but...then you gotta pay out a lot more for a new one if you can even find one.

Yours with 22K is still close to new (or a demo at least) - if you don't mind me asking, why would you want to pay all that extra for basically the same truck?? I know a lot a people want the latest & greatest but the "newness" peters out quickly. Then your left with the continuing payments, increased insurance, etc. I get that you also get new warranty coverage (and that "new truck smell", lol) but what I did is buy the 8 year extended Mopar warranty from Zeigler so I'm good for 5 more years on the important stuff (also got the PDR warranty for body dings). I also won't have any monthly payments for those 5 years at least - a big bonus. My plan is to start looking for a new truck before warranty expires, selling my truck privately - I put low miles on it and keep it pristine. I'll only have around 55K - 60K miles on it by then too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep it. Especially if problem free. Sounds like a great truck. I love my Bighorn Night Edition. Problem free so far and pushing 34K miles. This economy blows. You're ahead of the game with low mileage. You can always get a new truck again. Just my 2 cents.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Keep it. Especially if problem free. Sounds like a great truck. I love my Bighorn Night Edition. Problem free so far and pushing 34K miles. This economy blows. You're ahead of the game with low mileage. You can always get a new truck again. Just my 2 cents.

Yes. Buy it and keep it for a year or two and see how this car market plays out.

I have a 19 laramie which will be paid off in 4 months. I bought a 3 year warranty off Zielger for $900. I keep telling myself what am I gaining other than another truck payment.

Rsone 11

Reaction score
Thanks for all your great input guys. 👍much appreciated 👍🏻

Rsone 11

Reaction score
what is the PDR warranty for body dings where does one get that from and what is exactly covered?

mophead

Reaction score
You should run the numbers. What's your residual buyout? What can you get selling it? Bet you have a substantial profit there. Build a truck and get a price. (Mark Dodge is a good place to get a bottom price). See if you can find one on a lot at that price. Now how much is that costing you over keeping what you have? Don't get happy with the numbers, be conservative and realistic.

I certainly wouldn't just turn it in, whatever you do. I'm sure you can sell it for a profit. Even if you have to do that right away because you can't afford the payment or whatever, you should be able to resell it for SEVERAL thousand over the buyout cost.

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
See if you can extend the lease. Most captives will let you do that for at least one month. That will buy you the time to figure out what your truck is worth and possibly get a new build. CCAP allows sales to third party dealers like carvana and CarMax. Get as many quotes as you can. You may have enough positive equity to reduce your monthly on your new build to an attractive level.

Rsone 11

Reaction score
My lease payment now is $480 a month my buy out is $32,500 every new truck I’ve built is over $63/64k payments will be close to the $950 mark my best bet might be to just pay off the truck one shot and keep it I’m thinking

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My lease payment now is $480 a month my buy out is $32,500 every new truck I’ve built is over $63/64k payments will be close to the $950 mark my best bet might be to just pay off the truck one shot and keep it I’m thinking
Seems you really like the truck. In your situation, I’d pay it off and enjoy living payment-free for the next 5 years.

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
My truck was a $67k build and my lease payments are $630/mo

ramhead

Reaction score
what is the PDR warranty for body dings where does one get that from and what is exactly covered?
It was an option when I got the Mopar extended warranty thru Ziegler. It is offered thru Mopar but they use a third party company (I think it's called Dent Zone) and it was $420 for 5 years (from new). That was before using the PAYINFULL promo which dropped the whole cost down nicely. The paperwork all came with the Mopar extended packet so it's definitely Mopar sponsored. I haven't used it yet but spoke to a service advisor who said they don't do it at the dealership but you call the company and they set up an appointment (and can be done at your home). It's called the Auto Appearance Package (they also have a "Plus" version which includes the interior/upholstery at added expense but I really don't need that since 95% of the time it's just me in the truck (no kids, pets, etc.)). :

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Throw the VIN number on Vroom / Carmax and see what they offer for it. If it's more than the buyout...keep it and keep track of the resale value. If resale ever dips below what you're comfortable with, sell it. You'll likely make money on purchasing it even if you sell it within 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread