5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To CAI or not to CAI in AZ?

Gunner69

Reaction score
I apologize in advance as I know, the CAI question is a common one. My wife bought me a brand new 2022 Ram 1500 5.7 etorgue 4x4. My query is as follows.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. and the average ambient air temperature during the summer months is a consistent three digits. Knowing this, I have to assume the road temps are even hotter than the ambient air temps of 115-120 on many days. Next is the under the hood temps, which I imagine are even hotter. I understand that at highway speeds things will cool down a bit, but the fact remains, it's still bloody hot!

I have toyed with the CAI idea for some time now, and have reached a point of critical overload, from manufacturer sites, forums and others in general. Just when I think I have come to a conclusion, I read one more post, and it all goes out the window!

Sorry, here is the actual query. Living where I do with the high temps as they are, is it even feasible to entertain the addition of a CAI? From my perspective there is little if any "Cold Air" to be found. So would it even be worth the expense? If so, what would be the recommended unit to go with, and why?

I greatly appreciate any thoughts, and guidance regarding this matter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize in advance as I know, the CAI question is a common one. My wife bought me a brand new 2022 Ram 1500 5.7 etorgue 4x4. My query is as follows.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. and the average ambient air temperature during the summer months is a consistent three digits. Knowing this, I have to assume the road temps are even hotter than the ambient air temps of 115-120 on many days. Next is the under the hood temps, which I imagine are even hotter. I understand that at highway speeds things will cool down a bit, but the fact remains, it's still bloody hot!

I have toyed with the CAI idea for some time now, and have reached a point of critical overload, from manufacturer sites, forums and others in general. Just when I think I have come to a conclusion, I read one more post, and it all goes out the window!

Sorry, here is the actual query. Living where I do with the high temps as they are, is it even feasible to entertain the addition of a CAI? From my perspective there is little if any "Cold Air" to be found. So would it even be worth the expense? If so, what would be the recommended unit to go with, and why?

Unless you just want to pop the hood and show others you have one, no real benefit. The factory intake is about as "cold air" as you will get since the inlet for the factory air box is next to radiator and brings in "cold" air from front of truck

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No point to get it unless you want to.
The trucks are made to run hit, a lot hotter then ambient temperature.
All outside air is considered cold. I don't kbow anywhere where it's over 200 degrees F, so would still be colder then engine temps :)

I get a lot of aftermarket air intakes because I want to. I know they don't really do anything for the most part at least on modern built vehicles.

Gunner69

Reaction score
Unless you just want to pop the hood and show others you have one, no real benefit. The factory intake is about as "cold air" as you will get since the inlet for the factory air box is next to radiator and brings in "cold" air from front of truck
I figured as much. Thanks for your time.

Gunner69

Reaction score
No point to get it unless you want to.
The trucks are made to run hit, a lot hotter then ambient temperature.
All outside air is considered cold. I don't kbow anywhere where it's over 200 degrees F, so would still be colder then engine temps :)

I get a lot of aftermarket air intakes because I want to. I know they don't really do anything for the most part at least on modern built vehicles.
I get that it looks cool, I just don't see a reason to spend money on something with no real return. Thanks for the reply.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just get an aem air filter when you need to change it. You’ll be good to go.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

it depend on the reason you are looking into a cai

if its for cold air and gaining performance, then its no.

but if it to get the cai sound on acceleration or for the look them yes..

its up to what you are looking for

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "coldest" air your engine can get will be through the stock intake.

You might be able to get more flow from after market intakes, but ultimately the PCM modulates throttle opening and air/fuel ratios. Unless tuning is altered there's never a scenario that the engine will ask for more flow than the stock intake can already provide. Even then, probably not.

As far as air temps, turbocharged cars are force-feeding hotter temps than your ambient in AZ, so while it's indeed bloody hot there to mere mortals, it's just another day for your engine. If you do run into heat issues with your truck, you'll benefit more from radiator, trans, and oil coolers than a "Cold" air intake.

So it reduces to: Do you want the throaty sound of an open air intake, or the underhood looks? If the answer to both is no, I'd save the money.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Says the guy who lists mirror LED's, blingy shift and radio knobs, vinyl overlays, and red lug nuts as mods. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
Correct. I was referring to "spend[ing] money on something with no real return"
I bought a Ram 1500 Limited without mods that alone has no "real return" unless you count smiles per miles.

So it reduces to: Do you want the throaty sound of an open air intake, or the underhood looks? If the answer to both is no, I'd save the money.
If he wants a throaty sounds I would recommend just to skip the CAI and change the exhaust anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread