5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tired of tires...

heydre

Reaction score
Long time user of the BFG K0 and 2s but feel the traction in the wet/ice can be average (especially after a year or two of wear). I've been looking at these specifically in 20x9... DuraTrac, Grabber A-TX, Terra Grappler, or ? (Toyo/Cooper?).

Research is conflicting (sponsored?) so looking for opinions based on ACTUAL ownership of tires that go on AND offroad just as well (or better) than the K02s in these areas:
  • Tire wear (mileage?)
  • Ice/snow traction (aired down or not?)
  • Mud/sand traction (aired down or not?)
  • Used with towing (squirm?)
  • Puncture resistance
Sorry to sound so demanding or specific but I'm just not into loyalty by brand rather my loyalty goes toward quality based on experience. ANY help from y'all would be much appreciated.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
Long time user of the BFG K0 and 2s but feel the traction in the wet/ice can be average (especially after a year or two of wear). I've been looking at these specifically in 20x9... DuraTrac, Grabber A-TX, Terra Grappler, or ? (Toyo/Cooper?).

Research is conflicting (sponsored?) so looking for opinions based on ACTUAL ownership of tires that go on AND offroad just as well (or better) than the K02s in these areas:
  • Tire wear (mileage?)
  • Ice/snow traction (aired down or not?)
  • Mud/sand traction (aired down or not?)
  • Used with towing (squirm?)
  • Puncture resistance
Sorry to sound so demanding or specific but I'm just not into loyalty by brand rather my loyalty goes toward quality based on experience. ANY help from y'all would be much appreciated.

I only have experience with the DuraTrac - they get noisier as they wear down but have excellent wet/ice traction. If you plan on heavy off-roading they have a reputation of puncturing. I have been running the Falken Wildpeak on my last 3 trucks and like them quite a lot. Hopefully someone else can help with the rest.

heydre

Reaction score
I only have experience with the DuraTrac - they get noisier as they wear down but have excellent wet/ice traction. If you plan on heavy off-roading they have a reputation of puncturing. I have been running the Falken Wildpeak on my last 3 trucks and like them quite a lot. Hopefully someone else can help with the rest.

Helpful comment...thanks. Didn't list the WPs but they were on the radar ...are yours the 10 ply or 6? Also noticing posts about wheel shake/vibration created by poorly manufactured tires?

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
I've run Nitto trail and ridge grapplers for around five years. The first set of trail grapplers I got around 70K miles out of them and sold them on craigslist. The mud, snow, and rain traction for me was amazing. Never aired down. But also never been in sand. They are really noisy. I'm running ridge grapplers now. So far they have been a great tire. Mud is good, no snow experience yet. And they are quiet.

RodRow

Reaction score
I've run Nitto trail and ridge grapplers for around five years. The first set of trail grapplers I got around 70K miles out of them and sold them on craigslist. The mud, snow, and rain traction for me was amazing. Never aired down. But also never been in sand. They are really noisy. I'm running ridge grapplers now. So far they have been a great tire. Mud is good, no snow experience yet. And they are quiet.
+1 on Nitto Ridge Grapplers

heydre

Reaction score
Thx Dean and Rod those Nittos (Ridge and Trail) seem to be the number one choice here....will be interesting to see if the Ridges give you roughly the same offroad experience.

pgrant3491

Reaction score
I ran Duratracs and thought they worked great in all weather conditions. I used them for a lot of highway driving and they were solid.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Terra Grappler G2's on my Wrangler Unlimited JK. You will get tired of looking at the Terra Grapplers before they wear out because they last forever. However, the G2's are not good wet traction tires at all. I live in Forida and the roads are always wet here; G2's are a nightmare on wet roads. There is no takeoff traction and they hydroplane. Based upon my G2 experience I will never purchase another Nitto tire. In addition, they become very uncomfortable after a couple years and 10 to 20 thousand miles. The best way I can explain it is that they hit hard on bumps when they get older. I had to run them at 28 pounds of less after the first couple years just to keep it driveable. They were great when they were new (aside from wet traction).
I had a 2003 RAM 1500 4x4 that I put Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires on. The Falkens were amazing to me. They immediately improved wet and dry traction and braking. I only had the truck for two years after I bought the tires; but I was extremely impressed. The Falkens were also very comfortable tires. I will probably buy Falkens when I replace my stock tires.

deanfx

Reaction score
Thx Dean and Rod those Nittos (Ridge and Trail) seem to be the number one choice here....will be interesting to see if the Ridges give you roughly the same offroad experience.
Yes sir, me too.

Mile High Magic

Reaction score
First point - I've been running the Toyo AT2's on my new truck. We've had a substantial amount of snow here in Colorado since March, and from that standpoint (fresh powder/ice/slush), these things have performed flawlessly. I've been driving in snow for many years, and these felt rock solid. Light trails (mud/sand/rocks) so far have been super tight. My only negative thus far, is traction from a start on wet pavement (fresh rain, puddles, etc). I would say PART of that is due to the fact that this is my first go around with a naturally aspirated hemi with a lot of gumption off the line. If I take it slow, they do fine. On the highway (in rainstorms), they've performed well, no hydroplaning at all yet.

Second point - The reason I switched (was running Hankook Dynapros and Wranglers on my last F150), was about three years ago, some guys at my office (7 in total) all made the switch. We're all Auto Brokers, and part of what we do is aftermarket setups for our clients, helping with mechanical, buying tires, etc etc. Three guys here at the office in particular, are truck nuts. ALL of them have 30 foot toy haulers, do some hefty off-roading, and travel often. They've been running AT2's, and switching all of their clients over as well. Their main reasons for switching: Tread Life (50-60k easily with proper rotation), tire noise (very quiet for a fairly aggressive A/T), Look, and value. I have since begun switching all of MY clients to them. No complaints from anyone. Everyone who's truck I've put them on loves them. At least 15 or 20 peeps in the last few years, no issues (and people WILL call me when they have problems).

Per the guys in my office with towing/offroading experience - rock solid, track well, no "squirming", wear well, one puncture between the three of them over the years. MOSTLY hard pack/rock trails here, some sand areas. No issues towing. Excellent performance in snow/mud. Tread life has been consistently loooooong.

Anywho, I've only personally had them on my rig for the last 3 months, but I'm a huge fan. The road noise (compared to some KO2's that my buddy is running on his F150) is much quieter, if that matters. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Airing down - forgot to ask them about that aspect

Last edited:

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
Helpful comment...thanks. Didn't list the WPs but they were on the radar ...are yours the 10 ply or 6? Also noticing posts about wheel shake/vibration created by poorly manufactured tires?

Mine are the 6 ply version, although plenty of guys on other truck forums run the 10 ply and I've not heard complaints about shake/vibration or problems balancing. I think there are a lot of solid choices out there, Nitto and Toyo tires always seem to have good reviews by folks. Cooper STT are another aggressive tire that I have heard good things about offroad. Depends on where the tires will spend most of their time - on concrete or dirt/rock/mud as to what makes the most sense.

heydre

Reaction score
Now we're talking...love to hear your experiences in depth as, in some cases, I hear my own in them.

My use case is pimarily on road to work, fire roads, and rock crawls to get to some spots others won't go. We also get a fair amount of snow here and I drive up to the mountains on/off trail quite a bit. Pretty much no clay here and the muck is more on the other side of the mountains.

heydre

Reaction score
I just ran into this great comparison of mud vs AT tires on a jeep crawl...not exactly scientific but in the real world....good luck with that:
LINK

tom Z

Reaction score
I took off the Bridgestone OEM tires on my 2019 Limited and installed Michelin Latitudes, made a huge difference in the ride/handling qualities.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve only had the Ridge Grapplers on for a couple of days, but I can confirm that they are very quiet for an AT tire.

Attachments

• 6B5D4EAB-89A1-4892-A6DE-12773754F0BC.jpeg
    6B5D4EAB-89A1-4892-A6DE-12773754F0BC.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DF6FF202-C5A1-4FFF-B208-BA1C9F29475A.jpeg
    DF6FF202-C5A1-4FFF-B208-BA1C9F29475A.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 46
  • C5B05E7D-BD2A-466D-8BC1-39265ED25190.jpeg
    C5B05E7D-BD2A-466D-8BC1-39265ED25190.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 52
  • BAA2FDF1-908D-4A2A-8C6C-B6435AA98F88.jpeg
    BAA2FDF1-908D-4A2A-8C6C-B6435AA98F88.jpeg