5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire/Towing Question

daberk

Reaction score
If my towing is limited to a boat/trailer with a combined weight of ~4,000 lbs. (24' Carolina Skiff) should I have LT tires?

My stock tire size was 275/55R20 and the truck came with Nexen tires. Time to replace and I am looking at either the Falken Wildpeak AT3W (not available in an LT in that size but is an XL load tire) or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (this is an LT tire). If I should have the LT tires then the decision is made. Thanks.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Nope. The stock tires on my truck are regular P-rated tires, not LT, and according to my searching, I have a tow rating of 11,250lbs. So for 4k lbs, I'd keep a P tire and save yourself the rougher ride of an LT tire.

FWIW, I've towed about 4k lbs with my truck and had no issues with the stock tires, which are Goodyear Eagle Touring (285/45/22).

-John

andyc16

Reaction score
I have wildpeak at3w's on my silverado and the the duratracs on my rebel. Both 33s but the Silverado has 20x10 wheels so the sidewall is smaller. I prefer towning with the falkens as I get a little wiggle on the duratracs but it's a tough comparison because obviously they are 2 different trucks. But I am very comfortable with both towing a 30ft camper that's around 8k. I'm sure I would be happier with LT tires but I think you will be plenty fine without them towing your specified load.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread