5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire psi cold

kittyjo

Reaction score
Stock tires nexan when from 36 psi to 29psi this morning when 15 degrees and with windchill 5 degrees.... normal to drop that much?

79 300

Reaction score
1 psi per 12 degrees is what I remember seeing somewhere.

79 300

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I googled it and it is 1 psi change for every 10 degrees in temp. change. If you dropped from 36 down to 29 psi that is 7 psi. If your tires were checked when the temp was 70 degrees warmer than today, that would account for 7 psi drop. Tires will lose some air naturally over time, so most likely they were down to 33 or so anyway, then the 15 degree temp pulled them down another 4 psi or so.
So yes, they are low given the time of year. If the TPMS light is on, you will have to inflate up to 36 or slightly higher to reset it. This is a very common problem when extreme cold hits.

kittyjo

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I googled it and it is 1 psi change for every 10 degrees in temp. change. If you dropped from 36 down to 29 psi that is 7 psi. If your tires were checked when the temp was 70 degrees warmer than today, that would account for 7 psi drop. Tires will lose some air naturally over time, so most likely they were down to 33 or so anyway, then the 15 degree temp pulled them down another 4 psi or so.
So yes, they are low given the time of year. If the TPMS light is on, you will have to inflate up to 36 or slightly higher to reset it. This is a very common problem when extreme cold hits.
Thank u I have a portable air compressor for these reasons lol

S

Smashy71

Nitrogen fill if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

kittyjo

Reaction score
Never filled them up since I bought the truck mid November...

Ram19Va

Reaction score
After a long drive tires are 53-55PSI, but when very cold they start out around 47-49PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread