5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire chains

John Jensen

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm going to see if I can return the chains to e-trailer, they've been on the truck and done one tire rotation on my garage floor, so I'll see will they take them back !
If not.... there's going to be another set of chains on Craigslist !
Yep. I didn't like the minimal clearances either. Same reasons mine are on Craig's List and why I got the socks. I don't plan to ever need the socks but I've got 'em if I ever encounter a "chain up" situation. That's also the reason I only buy Snow Rated tires.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting … maybe it be possible to alter the brake lines that are blocking them ?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking wheel spacers would be an easy way to fix clearance issues, but now I think I’m going to move towards a set of studded winter tires for up north.

I just returned from a cold and icy trip towing a trailer and had some pretty sketchy moments on the drive. The temperatures are so cold that salt has no affect on the snow/ice and the roads are scrapped down to a thin layer of compacted snow/ice and sand is spread ontop to help with traction, but it simply isn’t enough to overcome the increased drag from an enclosed trailer while climbing a hill. Several times on my drive at approximately 60mph my rear tires lost traction causing the truck to get pretty loose.

I don’t like running 4wd for extended periods of time, but there were sections hours long that required it to stay on the road.

Attachments

• 05DA9E00-9375-4341-922F-8E2F1BC2DAEE.jpeg
    05DA9E00-9375-4341-922F-8E2F1BC2DAEE.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 755C0C31-3CAF-44D3-9A2F-03057065AB04.jpeg
    755C0C31-3CAF-44D3-9A2F-03057065AB04.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 586CEB99-0240-43C6-988C-0B2583DD8AF4.jpeg
    586CEB99-0240-43C6-988C-0B2583DD8AF4.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 31

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK - I’ve got to ask. Why?
I’d rather run 2wd when driving highway miles to reduce wear on the differential. I know nothing specifically mentions possible transfer case damage when using 4wd hi for extended periods, but running it in 4hi for hours on end at highway speeds probably isn’t the best.

As to why I’d have to use 4-hi for hours on end, I was towing an enclosed trailer that is much taller than the truck and the extra wind resistance was enough that if there was and incline in the road the rear wheels of the truck would lose traction and cause the truck to start fishtailing. Not fun at highway speeds. It was -33 for the first 7 or so hours of the drive with ice and compacted snow on the road.

lewdogg21

Reaction score
I bought snow cables from Les Schwab back at the end of December when we were going to Lake Tahoe "just in case" as a big storm was going to come in the day we were leaving. I had no idea of the potential issues with the brake lines... holy s...

Check327

Reaction score
stock duratracs with 4/32 tread life left, on roughly 3+ inch of snow on the ground, placed the truck in 4wd hi & it drove just fine with very minimal slippage. i didn't install chains but i do have them. i even conducted a straight road break check at 20 mph when there were no one around & i was very surprised that i didn't slide as bad as i thought.

View attachment 149018

View attachment 149019
Hello, I have a similar truck with the Duratracks. What kind of chains did you get? Looks like they are not recommended for Rebels but I need them(I live in the mountains in Utah).

TSL

Reaction score
Hello, I have a similar truck with the Duratracks. What kind of chains did you get? Looks like they are not recommended for Rebels but I need them(I live in the mountains in Utah).
If you do have a Rebel and you are set on getting chains, the only one that might work is cable chains, BUT, you will have to come to terms with the fact that clearance from the brake lines is really very small. If anything went sideways, there's a possibility of your brake line getting yanked out.
See my post here, I ordered chains from e-trailer that seemed like the would fit, I put them on in the garage but just did not like the look of the clearances, so I sent them back and got a set of AutoSocks instead. Which I have not yet needed to use.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
i got the autotrac snow chains (s class) due to the ease of installation. but they do come awfully close to the brake lines. some snow chains have flexible bungee tensioner that cross the rim that may shift as you drive. at least with these ratcheting tensioner, the shifting chances are minimized (not totally zero).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread