5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Air Pressure

wski65

Reaction score
Question, in April 22 I got new tires for my 2019 - 2500 HD Cummins Diesel. they set the air pressure in the tires all at 60 psi.
Last month I took it in to have the tires rotated.
When I got it back I checked the onboard TPS and the front tires were at 60 psi and the rear tires were set to 75 psi.
I called the tire place up to ask them about it, and questioned if they made a mistake. I was thinking they over filled the rear or under filled the front. The guy told me that is what they do for the 2500's. Since the payload capacity is so heavy on a 2500. and the front end is lighter.
Can anyone confirm this practice? Will it damage my tires?

I have always ran them at 60 psi as per the manufactures door tire sticker, and if I knew I was going to haul/tow something heavy, bump up the pressure to 70 - 75 psi.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Question, in April 22 I got new tires for my 2019 - 2500 HD Cummins Diesel. they set the air pressure in the tires all at 60 psi.
When I got it back I checked the onboard TPS and the front tires were at 60 psi and the rear tires were set to 75 psi.
I called the tire place up to ask them about it, and questioned if they made a mistake. I was thinking they over filled the rear or under filled the front. The guy told me that is what they do for the 2500's. Since the payload capacity is so heavy on a 2500. and the front end is lighter.

I have always ran them at 60 psi as per the manufactures door tire sticker, and if I knew I was going to haul/tow something heavy, bump up the pressure to 70 - 75 psi.
ask your question here at the heavy duty forum

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Rear is lighter when not hauling anything. I would only bump up pressure when you have a load on the truck. Otherwise, follow door sticker for starting reference, and adjust tire pressures from there for best wear and contact patch. I found the factory pressures on my BTS to be too low.

wski65

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I set them at 65psi all the way around

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The door sticker psi acheives the max load for a tire and truck combo when the tire meets the door recommendation load range. Remember the Ford Exploder tire blowout/rollover issue? The door sticker is a product of a companies lawyer team. Increasing the rears when loaded to tire max psi isn't necessary, but won't hurt the tire either.

Users who are viewing this thread