5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time it takes for all systems to be ready

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just took delivery of a 2021 1500 diesel from Aaron over at Mark Dodge. Great experience with him and his team. I live in California and in order to register, I need to get a smog check. However, after driving it 300 miles, the fuel, NMHC catalyst, and PM filter monitoring systems are still showing as not ready. Does anyone know how long it takes for those systems to be ready? Do I need to go through a whole tank? I have the 33 gallon tank, so I'm maybe a little over a third of the way through right now. Not sure if it's because it's a diesel. Thanks in advance!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never knew this was a thing, we pick up our new vehicles already tested. Here's something I found when I was trying to understand what you were asking ;) Good Luck.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I never knew this was a thing, we pick up our new vehicles already tested. Here's something I found when I was trying to understand what you were asking ;) Good Luck.
Thanks bill-e! I'll give this a try. It's because it's an out-of-state vehicle from Louisiana and California is strict about cars that come from out-of-state, even if they are 50 state compliant.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Add this to the list of reasons I will never move to Commifornia!

Malodave
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone elsewhere too. Roots are too deep to leave at this point.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone elsewhere too. Roots are too deep to leave at this point.
I know your pain, NYC, and it is only getting worse. But a new mayor in a few months - there is some hope. Dumblasio born in Manhattan BUT raised in Cambridge - wished he stayed there.

myles

Reaction score
Did the same thing as you, but I drove it for about a month before I got it registered. Maybe just finish the tank and all the monitors will set?

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Did the same thing as you, but I drove it for about a month before I got it registered. Maybe just finish the tank and all the monitors will set?
Unfortunately I don't have a month. California requires cars entering the state to be registered within 20 days. Over 500 miles driven at this point. Hopefully they will complete soon 🤞 I've tried different drive cycles I've found online and they're almost impossible to do on Los Angeles freeways and streets, even in the middle of the night, and either they don't work or more likely, I can't do them correctly.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CA DMV has seen this a million times. I believe you can go in and pay the fees and get an letter/extension for the emissions. I don't (would never) live there but keep seeing this issue pop up from others that do live there.

P.S. I also feel your pain. CO was lost quite a few years back.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. The fuel system monitor finally completed and was ready. It completed after driving for 20 minutes between 60-70mph, which wasn't described in any of the drive cycles I tried during the 700+ miles I drove. Thankfully California allows for 2 incomplete monitors for newer diesels and the truck passed smog.

Users who are viewing this thread