5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time For A Choice...PPF or Ceramic?

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
I just called a local retailer and they wanted $1200 to do the main areas and $2000 to do the entire vehicle. Waiting to hear back from Ziebart to see what they want.
for PPF or Ceramic? $2000 for full PPF would sound like a win to me

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You're not getting full PPF for 2k, that's likely going to be the front end only. I got the front, bumper, headlights, full hood, full fenders and flares, a-pillar, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets and door edges for $1700.
Also, you're not getting the front end repainted for $2K, not even close and youd still be dealing with paint mis-match, no thanks. I did my own paint correction then had the PPF done then did the ceramic coating myself

Venom700

Reaction score
You're not getting full PPF for 2k, that's likely going to be the front end only. I got the front, bumper, headlights, full hood, full fenders and flares, a-pillar, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets and door edges for $1700.
Also, you're not getting the front end repainted for $2K, not even close and youd still be dealing with paint mis-match, no thanks. I did my own paint correction then had the PPF done then did the ceramic coating myself
This is exactly how to save money but ensure quality work!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hold on to the $2000 and have the front end repainted in the future if it needs it.

I understand the desire to keep the front end looking new, and without stone chips, but I could not personally see myself spending another $2k to have it that way. Not sure why PPF on the front end for $2k is a good number, when a full wrap costs less. I think the prices are artificially inflated because they know we want nice things.
If you are only paying $2k for a full wrap, it's going to be a poor quality job using low quality vinyl.

Megaworker

Reaction score
I have about $2000 in the budget to protect the paint on my new Limited Longhorn. Based on the quotes I’ve received, for $2000 or so, it looks like I can do a full front PPF including hood, bumpers, fenders, lights and mirrors. Or, I can choose a full vehicle ceramic coating with a lifetime warranty (whatever that is worth!). What do I do?!
We had PPF on our Porsche Cayenne and 2 weeks later, we were so glad we did. It self heals after rock chips hit the front end. No paint damage! Worth every penny. Just got my Ram 2021 Limited done in PPF film with Xpel Boise Idaho. Terrific job. Spent $3K and do not regret it. Actual film vs a coating is the difference to me.

pMak26

Reaction score
PPF the front end. First thing I did when I got my truck is PPF the bumper, headlights, and about 8" up the hood. I saw loads of lightly used trucks that the front bumper was peppered to hell already.

Ceramic does NOT protect against small rocks and chips like PPF does. Ceramic is great for very light protection for a limited time (like sandy areas) and keep the truck looking great, but it won't protect against normal highway debris being kicked up from the car in front at highway speeds.

For reference I did Suntek S on the truck. My '14 viper has 90% of the car PPFed in Xpel. I think the Xpel is a little tougher but the Suntek S seems to 'self heal' better. Can't go wrong with either.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
OP did you buy or lease? I just went through this exact battle on mine. Ended up with just doing ceramic since mine is a lease. I honestly wanted to do ppf as well but once I got to the cost of ppf, ceramic coating, upgraded tires, etc it really started adding up. For a lease it was hard to justify dropping so much when the reality is I am not gonna really get that money back. Of course you know how that goes. Someone barely bumps it in a lot, man sure wish I wouldve had ppf. Have ppf installed, someone hits it a little harder in the parking lot and took off; GREAT now i need a new bumper, paint, have to redo ppf and ceramic on that section, etc plus was out the initial money as well.

What can ya do sometimes, right?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
We had PPF on our Porsche Cayenne and 2 weeks later, we were so glad we did. It self heals after rock chips hit the front end. No paint damage! Worth every penny. Just got my Ram 2021 Limited done in PPF film with Xpel Boise Idaho. Terrific job. Spent $3K and do not regret it. Actual film vs a coating is the difference to me.
^^^ This ^^^
Plus, it will save your paint from getting etched with bug guts if you travel a lot or during love-bug season. These can very caustic to your paint if you let leave them for a few days, whereas PPF will be immune to them.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
I opted to do PPF (3M Scotchgard) on my new truck this time around. So much crap all over the highways and roads.
I used Accent Tint, in York, PA. I've seen a lot of high-dollar vehicles roll through that shop, and have used them for tint work in the past. Good enough for a $180 Porsche, should be OK for my truck.

I did:
full hood
full front fenders & flares
front bumper
front grille trim
headlights
door handles
door cups
rocker / lower door

All this came out to $2,755, and they were able to give me a little military/veteran discount on that. Mirrors would have been done for $80 if mine were not the textured black.

The "Silver" package was half hood / half fenders, but I felt that would have been silly, and just get the whole thing.

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
...I got the front, bumper, headlights, full hood, full fenders and flares, a-pillar, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets and door edges for $1700.
Can I ask what brand you went with? You did the areas I'd like done. Would like to have a local installer match your deal.

BowDown

Reaction score
Can I ask what brand you went with? You did the areas I'd like done. Would like to have a local installer match your deal.

They used LLumar Platinum, 10 year warranty

BowDown

Reaction score
I just finished washing my truck, 12K miles since PPF applied (had done 2nd week with 400 miles on the truck, soonest I could get in) and the paint looks perfect, like brand new. Ceramic Coat is not going to do that for you, youll have glossy rock chipped paint, thats it

Users who are viewing this thread