5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Beautiful Li’l Red Express Truck Goes Up For Auction This Weekend!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

This Beautiful Li’l Red Express Truck Goes Up For Auction This Weekend!​

Dodge's Late-1970's Performance Pickup Is Still A Looker...​

1647574388053.png

In the late 1970s, the Dodge brand was eager to add a dose of performance to its emissions-restricted lineup. Chrysler engineers found a loophole in the emissions regulations, which stated a vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of more than 6,000 lbs. were not required to run catalytic converters. For those who aren’t familiar, GVW is the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum total loaded weight of a single-vehicle. While many of its passenger cars couldn’t reach the 6,000 lb. limit, the Dodge D-150 had a 6,100 lb. GVW allowed the pickup to beat the regulations.

79 300

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought one new in 1978. I drove it from time to time if he had a few too many (we were 20-21 years old). It was a blast to drive, and sure got the looks. He added headers and glass-packs so it really screamed.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love that the old "real hemi" in this was a 5.9 liter pumping out the whopping 255 ponies!

Users who are viewing this thread