5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thinking about a ram 1500

demon

Reaction score
hello all driving 2014 tundra ,got a feeling for a ram ,just unsure about warranty and reliability

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m 7000 miles in with no trips to the dealer for warranty work only an oil change so far. Had a 2015 Ram before this one, no dealer visits for warranty work for that one, over 3-1/2 years of ownership.

demon

Reaction score
thank you Zeronet ,thinking 2019 Mojave desert sand 5.7 121 fuel tank anti spin , not sure of axle ratio . tundra is 430

demon

Reaction score
thanks was what i was thinking , sometimes i tow start semi's

segarra01

Reaction score
Hi Guys , same here I have a 2007 tundra, I am in love with the 2020 ram 1500 Longhorn. I am ordering my.
This will be my first RAM...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You will read about buy backs (sorry but it happens) and you will see a thread (recent) about those happy with their trucks and not having had any issues. You will read about crappy service and poor PDI’s and then you will read about “white glove” dealers who understand what it takes.

It boils down to the truck And the deal, which right now the deals are great! If you like the (dated but functional) Tundra then by all means have at it. Nobody can really prove that the 5.7 drivetrain is anything but sound. Those deep gears really give it some grunt. Then look at a hemi with 3.92 and the 8 speed, not much more need for power than that offers.

I was sold (actually the wife was) on the Limited’s interior and all the tech. It was the first model year of a major redesign (and everyone knows to avoid that, right?) and the 12” screen, e torque have given some owners heartburn, but not too many.

I’d buy an extended warranty from FCA (not from the selling dealer, there‘s several less expensive factory routes) and just drive it. (I did not purchase an extended and the jury is still out on that decision).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You will read about buy backs (sorry but it happens) and you will see a thread (recent) about those happy with their trucks and not having had any issues. You will read about crappy service and poor PDI’s and then you will read about “white glove” dealers who understand what it takes.

It boils down to the truck And the deal, which right now the deals are great! If you like the (dated but functional) Tundra then by all means have at it. Nobody can really prove that the 5.7 drivetrain is anything but sound. Those deep gears really give it some grunt. Then look at a hemi with 3.92 and the 8 speed, not much more need for power than that offers.

I was sold (actually the wife was) on the Limited’s interior and all the tech. It was the first model year of a major redesign (and everyone knows to avoid that, right?) and the 12” screen, e torque have given some owners heartburn, but not too many.

I’d buy an extended warranty from FCA (not from the selling dealer, there‘s several less expensive factory routes) and just drive it. (I did not purchase an extended and the jury is still out on that decision).
^^^ This ^^^

A lot of us got more than our fair share of issues, specially us early adopters (I bought mine in June of 2018, March 2018 build), but those issues for me where not serious. I’ve had brake squeal and then brake chirp, which were both fixed with redesigned pads & calipers. Also had some issues with center console squeak (fixed), and LED ambient light above glove box not working from the factory (also fixed). Oh, and had a new battery installed last month.

Sure there are some that have issues with rear window leaks, but that should be easy to verify on the lot.
I’d venture to say that most of the first year issues have been resolved and I would have no problems buying a 2020.

Good luck and let us know if you get one.

Regards,
Neurobit

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I just hit 3k miles on my 2020 1500 Lone Star and have only had 2 issues and both of them appear to be issues with the 12 Uconnect.... One being the damn phone call mute thing where the other person on the line just stops being able to hear you outta the blue.. The other is at random times whenever I reverse and the backup camera comes on and then I put it into drive the backup camera will stay on the screen.. Normally pressing a few buttons it'll clear itself up though.. Either way, I have had no issues that make me regret buying the truck.

mkamradt

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12" Uconnect and I have the same issue with caller on other end of line not being able to hear me. I call into meetings quite frequently and this is a pain in the ***. I just picked it up from the dealer today for that reason and coolant smell inside and out and they said nothing wrong with it. They could smell it as well but said nothing they can do. Its going back in for the same thing next week and the week after and week after. This is my ninth Ram and 3rd from same dealer. One kid in the maint department told me they are aware of the issue and awaiting an update and the tool i talked to today played stupid. I showed him this thread and changed his tune a bit then i rescheduled to bring it back in next week right in front of him. Hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
I traded my 2011 Tundra Double cab SR5/ TRD in on a 2019 Ram and never looked back. Far superior in every aspect to the Tundra. At 2500 miles now, no issues to report other than some ANC noise which really doesn't bother me enough to warrant a trip to the dealer. My Tundra was not without issues either, it had an oil leak within the 1st 10k miles and rear gear whine from day 1. Take into consideration the complexity of any new truck, all of the technology and software involved. There is no such thing as perfect, bug free software, I know I work for a software company! It all come down to what you like, they all, have their unique issues. The Tundra never turned me on, the Ram absolutely does!

Users who are viewing this thread