5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thermostat change

Slink

Reaction score
has anyone changed out their thermostat to a 180-190 degree to try to lower their motor coolant temperatures. I not real comfortable with mine running 204-215 no load

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't, with these more modern engines, the higher temps improve fuel efficiency and performance compared to what they were running in the past. Running colder than intended will result in worse performance and for a negligible if any improvement in longevity.

210-220 is the sweet spot of most modern engines for the best overall performance.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will require more than just a thermostat as the ECU still wants 220, you will need a Tazer DT or other device to change the temperature threshold. The computer will do everything it can to override the thermostat and temps will still hit 200

George_RAM

Reaction score
It is true you want to meet the ideal working temp but at the same time when running too hot you ECU will remove timing to prevent knocking or pre ignition in the cylinder. It would be interested to see the differences with 180 vs the own thermostat in a dyno.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread