5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The saga of multiple accessories and the factory rails

DeanKing

Reaction score
Lot going on with this one. Tried a Retrax Pro XR and returned it. More on that later. It will work with factory rails but not at all with the Mopar bed divider. Got a Bakflip Mx4. Really like it. Clamps should just clear the Mopar bed divider rail but it appears the factory rails are not exactly parallel to the bed cap rails. So I had to file out 4 of the 6 mounting holes and it all fits and everything worked. I don’t know if that was due to sloppy assembly or it was designed for the factory rails to be 1/8 inch lower in the back. Then came the Bedrug bed mat Xlt. The one with the tailgate piece attached. The Mopar bed divider clears that just fine. But I advise you stay away from the model with the attached tailgate piece if you want a bed cover that allows the tailgate to open independently. The Bedrug mat tailgate piece is just a bit too high. Also that connector piece at the bottom tends to sometimes interfere with closing. I may actually cut the two pieces apart if it keeps bothering me. The Bedrug mat itself is really nice. It’s actually too nice. Now I don’t want to dump stuff in the back and mess it up.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Lot going on with this one. Tried a Retrax Pro XR and returned it. More on that later. It will work with factory rails but not at all with the Mopar bed divider. Got a Bakflip Mx4. Really like it. Clamps should just clear the Mopar bed divider rail but it appears the factory rails are not exactly parallel to the bed cap rails. So I had to file out 4 of the 6 mounting holes and it all fits and everything worked. I don’t know if that was due to sloppy assembly or it was designed for the factory rails to be 1/8 inch lower in the back. Then came the Bedrug bed mat Xlt. The one with the tailgate piece attached. The Mopar bed divider clears that just fine. But I advise you stay away from the model with the attached tailgate piece if you want a bed cover that allows the tailgate to open independently. The Bedrug mat tailgate piece is just a bit too high. Also that connector piece at the bottom tends to sometimes interfere with closing. I may actually cut the two pieces apart if it keeps bothering me. The Bedrug mat itself is really nice. It’s actually too nice. Now I don’t want to dump stuff in the back and mess it up.
Pics?

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
What made the Retrax incompatible with the bed divider?

DeanKing

Reaction score
What made the Retrax incompatible with the bed divider?
The canister. The rails of the bed divider are huge. Way bigger than they should be. I don’t see how any canister would work with them. If the bed divider had truly been designed and sized for the Ram it would have been better. Instead it was adapted. But I will say that after using it on a trip it was pretty useful.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
The canister. The rails of the bed divider are huge. Way bigger than they should be. I don’t see how any canister would work with them. If the bed divider had truly been designed and sized for the Ram it would have been better. Instead it was adapted. But I will say that after using it on a trip it was pretty useful.
Sorry. A bit confused here. Are you saying you just couldn’t store the divider at the head of the bed? Or couldn’t mount it anywhere? I wouldn’t think the Retrax side rails would interfere. Sorry for all the questions. I am (maybe now was) going to get a Retrax when my Ram comes in.

U-235

Reaction score
I have the MX4 as well, and the Bedrug bed mat. I actually went with the two-piece bed mat because I've had problems in other trucks with that section of carpet that covers the gap.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I have the MX4 as well, and the Bedrug bed mat. I actually went with the two-piece bed mat because I've had problems in other trucks with that section of carpet that covers the gap.
Knowledge of experience there. I kind of feel it would work OK without a bed cover. It also works fine if I raise the tailgate first and then put the cover down. But the other way around I am finding that I am getting a tailgate ajar light half the time. I also am realizing it is not as easy as just cutting the connecting flap. It seems the tailgate piece (at least for the attached model) is just a little too large. Like maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Sorry. A bit confused here. Are you saying you just couldn’t store the divider at the head of the bed? Or couldn’t mount it anywhere? I wouldn’t think the Retrax side rails would interfere. Sorry for all the questions. I am (maybe now was) going to get a Retrax when my Ram comes in.
The two products are incompatible: period. I just attached some pics in another thread that I referenced. That may help with this explanation a bit.
The rails of the divider are large and long. The canister itself cannot be mounted in the same space. Assuming you wanted to chop the ends of the divider rails (which I would think would be possible), you would find there is noway, the clamps for the Retrax would fit in the small space. They are large clamps. They did clear the factory rails but the divider rails are large. Much larger than they should be. I had to make some small mods just to allow room for the MX4 clamps which were half the size.

Users who are viewing this thread