5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hitch thread........post em

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I was discussing ball mounts with a guy at work the other day, turns out he has been towing more than his ball mount hitch was rated for. Let's see those ball mounts, hitches, goosenecks, fifth wheels, or whatever you got. If you feel like it post some details and what you like/don't like.

Here goes mine. GEN-Y GH-313 5" drop, rated at 1500lb tongue weight, 10,000lb load capacity. I love it because I have been rear ended with it mounted and it merely put a scratch on the ball and saved my bumper/rear end. The other car didn't look so hot. The part I love about this over a B&W or whatever is it is like having three 2" receivers. I have a PAKMULE hitch basket that interferes with the tailgate open if it's in the normal receiver hitch location. I put it in the middle and it works perfect. I can spin the ball to the backside, rotate it where the balls are horizontal etc. Here are some pics.

Also I CANNOT stand a hitch rattling. So what I do with my trucks is drill and tap a 3/8" hole and put a grade 8 bolt. Just a little snug does the trick. 20210307_154620.jpg 20210307_154642.jpg 20210307_162225.jpg 20210304_154131.jpg 20210307_150833.jpg

1D32319

Reaction score
I don't tow much. Just a random trailer from time to time on a plain old drop hitch with a 2" ball so no pics.

RE rattling. One thing people that burn wood have a whole lot of is little scrap chips of firewood. I simply shimmed the hitch. It will fall out after the next time I tow something-no matter, I still have a cord left over from the winter so I'm not running out of shims.

IMG-0149.jpg

Quint

Reaction score
I never get a hitch rattle UNLESS I put my canoe rack on. The top-heavy nature of that rack causes a lot of rattling. I also take an actual wood shim and pound it into the receiver next to the hitch which solves the problem.

JbVt

Reaction score
Any way to keep the receiver from turning into a chipped, rusty mess? Usually bottom inside lip of receiver gets beat to hell from keeping my hitch in. Any thoughts?

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I never worry too much about the paint on the receiver of the truck. My hitch always stays in though. But every so often I will take my ball mount and clean it up real good and give it a fresh coat of paint. Makes it look brand new. The hitch in my original post is 4 years old, stays on the truck, but looks like new.

JbVt

Reaction score
Paint I'm not worried about as much as the never ceasing rust from being up north. What do you use to touch up the paint? I think I will just need to do that more often than you being in the south.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Paint I'm not worried about as much as the never ceasing rust from being up north. What do you use to touch up the paint? I think I will just need to do that more often than you being in the south.
Yea you are right about that. I just use regular old rattle can spray paint.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never get hitch rattle unless I leave the receiver in after towing (which I don't because inevitably I end up walking into it at some point).

Would the bolt idea not weaken the hitch somewhat?

I'm just using a husky centerline as my WDH, nothing fancy but comes with bars and not chains so I get built-in sway control as well.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never understood that whole thing. I mean if you're going to redneck your truck then at least scale them up to the right size.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Somebody save this thread please! Only took 12 post for the truck nuts to make an appearance.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210428-133850_Gallery.jpg

Current one is a FastAway E2 10k WDH (1k round bars) with built in sway control. My cousin had it laying around his garage from one of his TT before he went to a Gooseneck, so I figured we'd give it a try. It works well enough, but is VERY noisy on anything but a straight / level road.

For our previous open car trailer we had a similar WDH setup made by Curt, with separate sway control unit, and chains connecting it to the trailer brackets. While it was alot quiter, it took alot longer to hookup / unhook and did not seem as beefy.

We might consider a different setup down the road, but (as you can see in the picture) we are very limited in options. With the Deep V nose and ramp door on the Driver's side, takes up most of the real estate that would be used for the trailer brackets.

1619632962793.png

Users who are viewing this thread