5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biggest scam in the industry...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
... is "computer charge". You know, where they need to "plug in the computer" and update your ECU or run a quick diagnostic and that 5 minutes is somehow worth $100. The computers they use are probably < $5000 built in china, and it doesn't cost anything to run the computer other than some low voltage like any other standard desktop.

Why have we put up with this for so long? It may have made sense back in early 90's where computers were still somewhat new and pricy, but I'm willing to bet your typical android phone has all the horsepower needed to do what these shop machines are doing (minus the actual hardware bits/plugs) of course. A diablo trinity tuner costs $600 or thereabouts, and can both read, do diagnostics, and reflash your computer (if they support your car/truck), so there is nothing fancy going on here.

It's time for a revolt! :)

Lize

Reaction score
Yes, and what is also annoying is that the ODB standards have a free format section which all the manufacturers use and either don’t publish the format or charge huge amounts for it. So to gain further diagnostics above a standard code (which doesn’t always help pinpoint a problem) forces a dealer visit and associated payment.

Barney556180

Reaction score
It is of course in their own best interests to maintain a proprietary income stream.

The introduction of electronics into the major systems 1) improved performance and reliability, while lowering overall maintenance costs, and 2) froze out independent shops and the DIY owner.

There’s no going back as layers of increased complexity give manufacturers the perfect cover to further tighten their grip of follow-on services.

Lize

Reaction score
Yes, I don’t blame the manufacturers for making a revenue stream. It’s disappointing though when dealers won’t/aren’t capable of supporting older vehicles and the superseded protocols are still kept secret, presumably as they are similar to the later versions.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
have you tried an ODBII reader? then search the codes on the internet? that is what I have done since 2003 on my first hemi. with a key, you used to be able to do acc-on-acc-on-acc (without starting the vehicle) and the dash would go into a self diagnostics, and show any codes that were thrown in the odometer.

I have not tried it with the keyless to figure it out.

Lize

Reaction score
I haven’t got my Ram yet so not tried it, hoping not to need it anytime soon! The code readers we can buy for reasonable money tend to support the standard SAE PIDs and all manufacturers have much more data encoded.

I’ve recently been battling the Nissan Consult 2 protocol on a Japanese import, the plug is OBD2 shaped but the data is not the same. There’s lots of other specific data such as Body Control information which needs particular decoding. Fortunately there is reasonably priced laptop software which does a better job but I don’t think it’s 100% complete.

I have previously had a Mercedes read by the dealer (cost circa over $100) and still it was a guessing game as to what had failed so even with full data the dealers aren’t necessarily any the wiser.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Getting a code read is free. Getting a dianostics done has a charge which is sometimes ********. My wife, son and I went on a cross country trip. During a section in northern ontairo, no service stations anywhere, got a cel. Pulled over to check the engine was sounded normal and fluids were good. Stopped at Niagara Falls. Asked to get the code read. They said it would be $120. I asked just for the code, no diagnostics as ill figure out what it was. They gave me a code. Fuel evap leak. Son decided to pump the gas the last fuel stop and didnt tighten the cap. They wanted to charge me 120 for that? **** that

Users who are viewing this thread