5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The “Tailgate Wars” Are Back On With Ford’s New “Pro Access Tailgate”

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The “Tailgate Wars” Are Back On With Ford’s New “Pro Access Tailgate”​

While It Does Bring Some Good Ideas, It Falls Short Of Ram's Multifunction Unit...​

1695527065022.png

Over the past few years, the truck landscape witnessed the emergence of the “tailgate wars” between General Motors (GM) and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), now Stellantis. GM fired the first shot with their groundbreaking MultiPro tailgate, featuring a primary gate and a smaller inner gate that offered a plethora of functions, from bed extension to step entry.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's worth noting that Ram patented their MFT (multi-function tailgate) THREE YEARS BEFORE GMC patented their MultiPro tailgate. It's true that GMC got their trick tailgate to market several months before Ram's trick gate, but it's clear that GM's gate was a response to Ram's MFT patent.
I've posted in other MFT threads that Ram's MFT is FAR easier, faster and safer to step up into the bed than any other tailgate solution so far. Simply open the left swing gate, as you're opening the left gate slide your hand from the latch to the top of the gate, place your right foot onto the lowered center section of the bumper, and step up into the bed. It's a smooth, natural motion. If a person needs extra oomph to get themselves up into the bed, they can place their right hand on top of the closed right-hand swing gate and use both arms to pull themselves up while using their right leg to push. Ram's MFT wins the step-up-into bed trick, hands-down.
Ford's center-mounted Pro Access tailgate is a huge compromise compared to Ram's 60-40 split with two hinged gates - Ford was late to the tailgate utility game, and their heavily-compromised design shows it.

Reaction score
I think Ram has the best MFT design out there.
Ford is ok, but it’s just a wish.com version of what Ram has.
The Chevy/GMC is just plain dumb.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram's design makes practical sense. I'm not a fan of the off-center split, though. I'd prefer something that can be used from either side equally. (Yes, I realize that would have meant engineering a unique latching mechanism for MFT trucks.)

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Ram's design makes practical sense. I'm not a fan of the off-center split, though. I'd prefer something that can be used from either side equally. (Yes, I realize that would have meant engineering a unique latching mechanism for MFT trucks.)

Or maybe something like the 50/50 split on the concept Ram would be even more useful.

Bed.jpg

Steve

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now I could get on board with a MFT like this one, gives an 8 foot bed when needed.
With Ram's MFT, if you also got Ram Boxes and the Bed Upgrade Group that included the load divider, you can order the "lugs" that thread into the vertical sides of the tailgate jamb, which allows the use of the load divider as a bed extender. Ram won't sell you the lugs for 2019-on, due to revised federal regulations, but you can buy them from Amazon and they work fine. Of course an extender sitting on the tailgate isn't at all the same as an 8-ft bed, but it does help make the shorter beds useful.
FWIW, this is the one I bought, it seems like a well-made product (unfortunately, on Amazon these kits they are all made in China):
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-2...fix=box+handle+and+grommet+kit,aps,167&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread