5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Using Voice Recognition

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also received a Case Number on this. I highly doubt I will get anything resolved until they fix it for everyone. And I don't believe this is a RAM thing specifically, but rather a UConnect issue.
This is from a Wrangler forum in March:

I spent almost 2 hours tonight with 7 different agents from Uconnect, Sirius XM, Guardian Services and finally Uconnect Assist before I got the (hopefully) correct answer to this question. All Wranglers and certain other 2019 FCA products have an issue with "Voice Recognition" texting via their Uconnect radios (it's not limited to the 8.4" 4C Nav radios). It's a known software glitch that "the software engineers are working on". The agent did not know why something that worked perfectly well in MY2018 (and earlier) would be broken in MY2019. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved in a future Uconnect update via USB; preferably sooner than later.

Agreed. - everyone is dealing with this and it is poor on their product and business - both Uconnect and FCA.

FYI - INFO ON HOW TO DO A UCONNECT RADIO RESET. - see Uconnects instructions below.

And here's what they said and why, along with my response to them.
I had to send them another Developer Feedback today about the Remote Start not working. This is their response and mine. They are saying that the system in my 5 day old truck is not communicating properly, and I need to do a factory reset. That's laughable. A factory reset for a new truck 5 days out of the factory. Why would it now have made that correct connection on it's original connection 5 days ago. Excuses. I hope other's join in in sending emails. It only takes a minute, and can only help. We paid a lot of money for this.

- - - - - - - - -
My Developer Feedback this morning:
Remote start failing constantly. Please fix this issue. The remote start that we are paying for is failing and rendering the app useless. Please extend the introductory free trial the extent that this is continuing to not work. For example, if it takes 3 months for FCA and their Uconnect subcontractor to fix this, please extend the free introductory offer 3 months. We should not be charged or using up our time when this is not functional.

Screenshot of Fail reports attached

Uconnect's Response:
Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry to hear you are having issues with the mobile app and that it is not meeting your expectations.
Based on the information provided by your VIN, it appears your vehicle’s radio is not properly communicating with the servers.
Below, please find the step by step instructions on how to perform a factory reset.

***Please note, this will take approximately 45 minutes and you will lose radio stations, Bluetooth connecting and addresses in navigation ( if equipped).

Your vehicle has a VP4 radio.
Step 1 – Check to see if Radio is VP3. If VP3 with NO navigation or VP4 proceed to Step 2. For VP3 with navigation, you will need to obtain the 16 digit navigation code. This can be obtained from the dealer menu by pressing the up and down temperature control buttons (on the driver’s side) and front defrost buttons at the simultaneously – and holding down until the menu appears. Click on system information and then radio part information (if not in sys info) – the navigation code will be listed. Have the customer write this number down (as they may also need it for future use). Exit the menu by pressing the X in the upper right corner.

Step 2 – Press the up and down temperature controls buttons (on the driver’s side) to access the Engineering menu – hold until the menu appears. Scroll down until you reach “Reset to Factory Defaults” and press it. Click YES to confirm.

Step 3 – After 30-45 seconds – the SRT logo will appear and you should begin your timer for 7 minutes. (The apps and navigation buttons will be gone at this point.) Make sure nothing is plugged into the USB ports or the SD card slot.

Step 4 – After your 7 minutes has ended, turn off the vehicle, open and close the door, and wait for the dash lights to go out. Once the dash lights are out – wait 20 seconds before restarting the vehicle.

Step 5 – Run for 7 minutes and repeat ignition cycle. Run until you see 3G.

If you prefer to go over these with a live agent, please press “Assist” on your vehicle’s rearview mirror and you will be connect to an agent.

Thank you for being a valued customer.
Uconnect Service Operations Team

My Reply to them saying it is not connecting properly:
Why would your systems in my brand new, 5 day old truck, not properly communicating. There seems to be many non-working features or systems in this Uconnect that FCA charges us $1,200 for the services and system. Just some of the items now working, but are major and basic functionality on most systems are:
  1. Voice Recognition for address entry - Navigation. The microphone icon is there, but left inactive.
  2. Voice Recognition for text reply. There is a line of text to chose response by voice text, however, that ALSO is grayed out and inactive.
  3. Maps are out of date - last updated in 2017, before this and the last truck model.
  4. Remote Start - new vehicle connections are not connection properly through your software.
Please understand that these are some very basic items in most systems and cellphones, and as consumers we all expected them to work, as it was not advertised that they are not functioning at the time. So type of compensation should be provided as your product is not living up to what is advertised and expected.

Please let us know the status of the 4 key items listed above. We (many others in the Ram forum) have been contacting FCA, Uconnect, and HERE Maps.

Regards,

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! I actually just received a voicemail call from Uconnect regarding the case number they assigned me from my issues this morning. Probably about the remote start and getting the radio to connect properly to Uconnect. I would rather it be regarding the Voice Recognition issues in Nav and Text. Well, at least there's some response from them. Curious to see what they say.

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got a call from a nice woman named Diane from Uconnect. Long story short she's not sure why the microphone and free response voice text buttons are on the Uconnect screens but great out. Perhaps they were once there but you can access taking them away because they want everybody to use Android Auto or Apple carplay. I said yes but that subsetting to us for us to pay for your product and then have you tell us to go use something else. I don't want to have to use my phone plug it in which would run to the wireless charging useless just to be able to say what I want in a text message to my friends or wife. she said she would take note of it and pass it on. You could hear there were supervisors listening in at which point I said great I hope those who are listening in and keep it pinging our conversation will also forward to those people higher up to actually get this to happen. Because what's up setting is then we pay $1200 for this and are missing two major components. It's like buying a brand new iPhone and telling us oh the speaker function doesn't work if you want to hear hands-free just tell your friends to scream really loud into their phone. Thanks Uconnect but I don't want to have to use my Google or Apple device in order to use your device.

PS she did say that she was aware that other people have called and complained about this so hopefully it may be coming back in a future software update. Hopefully the more people speak up the better the chances. I just hope they're not trying to push everyone to use their own phones instead It defeats the whole wireless features

almiami

Reaction score
Got news for you, just bought a 2021 and still not working. Had it on my 2016 and it was just great being able to respond to text messages on a touch of a button.
Going backward having to reach out to the phone now to answer .

Users who are viewing this thread