5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate thread

A-TEAM

Reaction score
So there are a couple tailgate related items I need to discuss.
#1) In cold climate, during freezing rain, or if I spray the salt off my truck with temps below freezing (20-30f), my tailgate will not open at all afterwards. It literally freezes shut. I don’t think its the tailgate itself, rather the electrical latches that just wont let go. I clean and oil the latch regularly. Ive never had this issue with mechanical handle tailgates so I was wondering if anyone has this same issue and has found a workaround? Like adding weather stripping, or maybe a backup mechanical release?

#2) My tailgate body IS NOT steel. Had some sign mags made for my business and they don’t stick at all to the tailgate. It was a surprise to say the least! So they must be aluminum or composite? Maybe an FCA engineer can chime it. Whats it made from? Im guessing the reason is to make it easier to close/lighter.

Post tailgate discussions! Thanks for any tips or help.

I'm following because I also have tailgate concerns. I have a tonneau cover, and if the battery dies, how do I get into the bed to get the tools I need to fix the battery?
I think the tailgate is aluminum. The electric latches probably just don't have enough power to break ice on the posts. Pictures I've seen look like they contain a tiny motor, but also look like there may be a mechanical aspect that something could be attached to. I have as many questions as answers at this point.

The tailgate is indeed aluminum on 5th gen trucks as part of weight saving measures. I live in MN and have parked outside in all weather conditions including freezing rain and very cold temps and never had issues with my tailgate freezing shut except when the entire vehicle is coated in ice and all the doors have to be chiseled out to open!

I'm following because I also have tailgate concerns. I have a tonneau cover, and if the battery dies, how do I get into the bed to get the tools I need to fix the battery?
Only way I know of to open get into the bed in this circumstance is to either charge/replace the battery or break into the cover. I've never seen or heard of any type of override for when this happens. If the RF hub fails (like it did on our truck) the first option is off the table.

This is when I'm glad I park my truck in a heated garage. Freezing temps don't bother me. I would probably try to avoid spraying the latch area of tailgate if the temps are going to be below freezing. And for that matter, I wouldn't even bother spraying water in the truck anywhere if it's just going to freeze. Things break easily when parts are frozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back