5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Swap

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m wondering if the 2019 1500 tailgate is the same (fit and function) of the 2020 1500. I truly hate badges on my vehicles, and the 2020 has the indentation that eliminates the removal of that huge badge. But, the 2019 has the huge letters that are removable. I would much rather have a smooth tailgate with no badges, letters, indentations etc. Has anyone been successful with this type of swap?

If you are referring to a 2019 DS (old body style) versus a 2019 or 2020 DT (new body style), then no, they are not interchangeable. The DT bed height and tailgate are taller than the DS.

I’m wondering if the 2019 1500 tailgate is the same (fit and function) of the 2020 1500. I truly hate badges on my vehicles, and the 2020 has the indentation that eliminates the removal of that huge badge. But, the 2019 has the huge letters that are removable. I would much rather have a smooth tailgate with no badges, letters, indentations etc. Has anyone been successful with this type of swap?
Are you comparing a Rebel tailgate with your Laramie? If that's the case, then yes. You can swap the tailgates, as long as both are DT or both are DS models. If you're comparing a "classic Ram 1500"(DS) with the "new Ram 1500"(DT) then no, as NorthStar said, they are not interchangeable. It sounds like you're wanting to debadge the tailgate. Just so you know, even if you have the R A M letters, there are holes in the metal to allow for locating pins for the large R A M letters. So if you remove the letters you will have to deal with the holes that are underneath.

Ok. I thought I had read somewhere that said the letters where just stuck on. That’s a bummer and a deal breaker. Paint and body work would cost too much to fill the holes.

There are blacked out versions of the Ram where all the badging is non-gloss black. If you have a dark paint job (like mine) the rear badge is hardly noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back