5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Seal?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those using tonneau covers, do any of you use a tailgate seal? Do they help keep water out or is it just snake oil for those who want to surgically operate in the bed?

With many talking about how dry their beds stay, I don't recall any mention of these.

Dremin2flyhi

Reaction score
I have the Trident Tri-fold and there was a heavy thunderstorm yesterday-- It was completely dry this morning .. I do not have any type of seal ..

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the stock mopper soft trim fold cover and I am getting no water inside

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
gehhh...MX4 and I get a small amount of leaking on both sides near the tailgate

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TruXedo TruXport here. A tad bit of water coming in by the tailgate - gap at the top of it. I fully expect the bedrug to help with this.

namhoang22

Reaction score
I have the BAK Revolve X4 and I got a lot of water coming in from rear at the tailgate. I bought the Extang seal kit but when I install i still see there is a gap at the top. I don't know if the gap is normal or not. Anyone in here has issue with their tail gate has a big gap? My 2015 Ram 1500 doesn't have this issue. So I am not sure if I 2019 Ram 1500 tailgate gap is normal or not.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't notice any water or dust in the back of my 2019 with the Lomax installed. I don't plan on adding a seal as I want water to be able to drain out if I have the cover open when it's raining.

warvet

Reaction score
I use Truxedo seal and it absolutely works. Is it perfect .........No. But with trial and error, I've positioned it to redirect most of the drops that come into the rear corners. But even that water isn't alot. I was just bored and wanted to play with tailgate seals. :)

I also put some at the bottom of the tailgate just because I had so much of it and when going through alot of standing water, some water was shooting up through the space.

Local truck shops around here say it's more a Ram tailgate design thing and not the covers. I have a Undercover Ultra Flex and would buy/install it again if I had to. The drops are minimal from top/rear corners

MIAMIRAM

Reaction score
I have a 2019 with a rambox and a rugged hardcover. The gap between the tailgate and the body of the truck is 3/4 to 1” wide. I don’t know if is the same with a standard non rambox bed but I could actually see the light inside the bed. Any ideas how to seal it?

AndreiV

Reaction score
TruXedo TruXport here. A tad bit of water coming in by the tailgate - gap at the top of it. I fully expect the bedrug to help with this.
I think I have same truxedo cover or similar of same brand. No water leak. Originally installed it a bit to far to cabin, moved it closer to tailgate to make sure rubber leap stays over tailgate. Also I close tailgate first and then pop cover in place, this way end rubber seal stays outward and not inward.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 with a rambox and a rugged hardcover. The gap between the tailgate and the body of the truck is 3/4 to 1” wide. I don’t know if is the same with a standard non rambox bed but I could actually see the light inside the bed. Any ideas how to seal it?

Same with every pickup out there. Best bet is to buy a tailgate seal or get a BedRug.

I think I have same truxedo cover or similar of same brand. No water leak. Originally installed it a bit to far to cabin, moved it closer to tailgate to make sure rubber leap stays over tailgate. Also I close tailgate first and then pop cover in place, this way end rubber seal stays outward and not inward.

Mines bone dry.... just as it was on both my F150s. Added the Bedrug and a bit of caulk in the corners of the cover. For the price the TruXport cannot be beat!

Users who are viewing this thread