5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate rattle/loose

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have any of you had a rattling tailgate? The bushing on the passenger side is loose and my tailgate rattles a lot while offroading. You can lift the tailgate vertical by hand and has about a 1/4" of slack. I got so tired of it that I detached the tailgate strap from the bed and ratchet strapped the gate down. I already made the effort to get it fixed under warranty, however; the new bushing only lasted about 2 offroad rides...

Last edited:

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a simple fix. I had a pair of old welding gloves laying around so I cut a strip of leather and used it as a "cushion" lol. Lets see how long it lasts.

Maddoggin

Reaction score
Did a simple fix. I had a pair of old welding gloves laying around so I cut a strip of leather and used it as a "cushion" lol. Lets see how long it lasts.
Have any pictures of what it looks like? I'm having the same issue, annoying really!

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Do you have the multi function tailgate? I have the MFT and have noticed that it is loose on the passenger side, seems like the frame that the MFT has is loose maybe the bottom bushing. I was planning to take it in and have it checked.

Jvoyles84

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Just replaced the bottom bushings because it seemed the bottom of the tailgate was the issue. I was wrong

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Something" back there has rattled since new. Dealer is no help. Haven't tracked down the problem, but if thread keeps going, I'll get out there when the weather warms up and look closely at it.

damram

Reaction score
I was having the same issue with my tailgate too, and it was driving me nuts. I fixed it by adjusting the tailgate striker bolts, now the Tailgate is solid and doesn’t rattle at all. If you loosen the bolts they can move up, down, or back and forth. It took several tries to dial it in so that the tailgate wasn’t too tight, but definitely worth it. Best part is it doesn’t require buying anything so long as you already have a T45 torx bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/