5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate outward dents

Trevormac416

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with their tailgates looking like they have been centered punched from the inside out. Identical locations both sides of the gate. Sounds like Ram won't cover it .

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do have a photo? Something is loose inside, try taking off the access panel and poke around.

If you're out of the 3/36 warranty you're stuck with the bill unfortunately

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There isn't anything heavy enough you could put on the tailgate that would cause outward protruding dents, without also damaging the tailgate in other ways. Pics would be helpful for this. As well as details about your truck such as age of the truck, normal or MFT, have you opened the tailgate access panel, or modifications made to the tailgate.

Nigele

Reaction score
Can you please provide more information on this and the outcome as mine has done the same immediately after a service. Finger pointed at the dealer but looks like this is a manufacturing issue and no fault of the dealer.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
The older 02-08 tailgates would do this too. Right where the cables connect to the gate (but on the visible side). Something inside moves and I always figured it was from guys letting the gate slam down instead of letting it down lightly. My 2010 never did it but I didn’t let the gate slam and those are so much lighter than the 02-08s.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned, there's nothing you can put in the bed that will give outward dents that won't damage the inside of the tailgate. There's something inside that's hitting the outer skin. It could be the cable assembly, or even the torsion bar, if equipped. I would take off the inner panel and see what's in the area of the dents. Maybe a rod needs to be adjusted or something, but a PDR person could probably fix this for you in seconds. I wouldn't recommend PDR until whatever is creating the dents is adjusted away from the outer shell.

Users who are viewing this thread