5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Adjusting

RegaiB

Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up on how to adjust the tailgate on a 2019 sport 1500? mine is way to the left and nearly rubbing the paint now.....

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up on how to adjust the tailgate on a 2019 sport 1500? mine is way to the left and nearly rubbing the paint now.....

Voila. Search works well.

RegaiB

Reaction score
Voila. Search works well.

Yes i have read this thanks just didnt know if there was a write up to fix it based on what RAM recommends.

I have used the search.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes i have read this thanks just didnt know if there was a write up to fix it based on what RAM recommends.

I have used the search.

AFAIK, Ram has not said a peep about this. Maybe I'm guilty as I've not even mentioned it to the dealer since I consider mine fixed with the o-ring. It's not going anywhere.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
image.jpg Mine is off-centered, but I did not expect it to chip so soon. Took delivery mid-June and my truck is already missing some paint on the right edge of the tailgate where it makes contact with the bed/right taillight.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What pieces did you purchase (and from where) to fix yours? I feel like dealerships only ever make problems worse. Thanks in advance.

At first I used a rubber garden hose washer. That kept me from chipping paint but seemed to move the tailgate over to the left too much. Mine was always creeping to the passenger's side.

I then played around and found a black rubber o-ring in my parts bin that was ~1/2 the thickness of the garden washer. You could get that at any auto parts store. Swapped that out and have never looked back.

Unless Ram comes out with different sized side-to-side tailgate bumpers (which they might have) this works so well that it's not even on my radar to bring up with a dealer.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine written up this week as well using the information I found here in the forums. They are going to "fix" it before my paint starts to chip away as well.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I then played around and found a black rubber o-ring in my parts bin that was ~1/2 the thickness of the garden washer. You could get that at any auto parts store. Swapped that out and have never looked back.

Crazy idea .. I have a few million of those laying around as well .. might as well go try it while I wait for the official fix :)

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I had mine written up this week as well using the information I found here in the forums. They are going to "fix" it before my paint starts to chip away as well.
Let me know how they do it. I just made an appointment today for September 5th. They have to take their own pictures to make a claim with FCA.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
FCA accepted my claim. They are realigning and using touch-up paint at their designated body shop as of today.

Also completely replacing a door handle that had missing paint. Odd they wouldn’t just use touch-up for that. Now I’ll have to ceramic coat a single door handle lol

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Update: In short, nothing was corrected.

Went to pick up my truck after two weeks. They used touch up paint on the tailgate (looks like a toddler did it with one eye open). They didn’t touch up the chips on the bed opposite the tailgate. No re-alignment necessary says RAM. They pulled an NFL move and said they put a piece of paper in between the tailgate and bed and it did not make contact with the piece of paper. No wonder, the tailgate moves.

Since they didn’t re-align anything, I asked, so what happens when it chips again? RAM said, it shouldn’t chip... Then how did it happen the first time?

I fear rust, so I am buffing off their hack job and painting 2 layers and 1 clear coat.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this thread is super old but i found it to be super helpful. i just added a ruber o ring behind my passenger side rubber piece. worked well! fortunately my paint wasnt chipping yet and hopefully this fix will hold up. not sure if anyone found a better fix for this over time

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replied to the original thread, but same issue as others have experienced above. Can’t seem to get my rubber bumper to come off. Any suggestions? Is that a screw or a plastic pop rivet?

Users who are viewing this thread