5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tablespoon or less of DEF my Diesel Tank will this be ok?

dbm1

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM diesel with 3,000 miles on it. When I was adding DEF some of it splashed out into the diesel tank side, maybe about a tablespoon or less. The truck already had about 3/4 of tank of fuel, I top it off with diesel. I know you're not suppose to start the truck with fuel contamination but I did someone told me that it wasn't enough to hurt anything and just add water remover. I am on the road traveling back home and about 1,000 miles from home. I drove the truck 20 miles to a pilot store and then found some water remover at Pilot https://www.amazon.com/Howes-103060...001JT3I0U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 and added it to my fuel.

And some of your are wondering why is the diesel cap not on? What really pisses me off is that the $%@! cheaply thin cap that RAM puts on these new trucks is ridiculous. It doesn't even screw on and just fit right over the opening and not attached to the truck like the DEF cap is, it looks like it's a temporary cap you take off and throw away. So when I was fueling the truck at my last fuel up. I took the cap off and set it on the side of the truck bed and the wind came along and blew the damn thing behind the truck cab and the bed ...total BS. And there was no way I could get to it. So I figured I would buy a new one once I got back home. Well at my next fuel stop I needed DEF and when I was fueling up with DEF a small amount (tablespoon or less) ran over into the diesel.

So I am hoping that everything will be ok. I'll change the filters when I get home and also keep an eye on the water separator warning light.

You'll be fine. BTW, that "temporary cap" is just that....temporary for shipping. It's a capless fill system technically. Amazon has a number of different aluminum "permanent" ones available....some of them even have magnets on them. Check out this one:

Easy to hold,Diesel Fuel tank Cap for Dodge, (Hidden-Strong magnetism) Ram Diesel Aluminum Fuel Cap for 2013-2018 Dodge Ram Truck 1500 2500 3500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XW82WT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_81A84JR0YPK56SQYBPC3

You'll be fine. BTW, that "temporary cap" is just that....temporary for shipping. It's a capless fill system technically. Amazon has a number of different aluminum "permanent" ones available....some of them even have magnets on them. Check out this one:

Easy to hold,Diesel Fuel tank Cap for Dodge, (Hidden-Strong magnetism) Ram Diesel Aluminum Fuel Cap for 2013-2018 Dodge Ram Truck 1500 2500 3500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XW82WT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_81A84JR0YPK56SQYBPC3
Thanks for the tip on that. But the fuel door on the diesel was closed and when the DEF splashed over, it appeared to drained down into the tank.

Thanks for the tip on that. But the fuel door on the diesel was closed and when the DEF splashed over, it appeared to drained down into the tank.
I assumed that to be the case. Again, that tablespoon full or whatever isn't going to hurt. It'll get caught in the fuel/water separator. You'd be amazed how much water can get in diesel or creates itself with condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back