5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWITCHING OCTANE

Duran

Reaction score
I just got my 2020 ram 1500 hemi. I started by running 87 octane. But now i want to switch to 89. Would the be any problem in topping of my tank half full (87) with 89. Would there be any harm in mixing this one tank before making the complete switch to the 89 octane. Thanks men

Duran

Reaction score
It's just like pourin' more Jim Beam into your weak drink!
Hahahahaha. Well spoken . Jack on ice with a cigar would be prefered . Thanks . Wondering if there will be a performance and mpg difference by running the 89

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
I doubt that one notch on the octane scale will be noticable. It's just less likely to ping.

Duran

Reaction score
I doubt that one notch on the octane scale will be noticable. It's just less likely to ping.
Great i got a noise im trying to diagnose. I have it on my you tube at Desert Style. My account has the red dodge dart. I tried posting the video on here but wouldnt let me . Let me know what you think

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Great i got a noise im trying to diagnose. I have it on my you tube at Desert Style. My account has the red dodge dart. I tried posting the video on here but wouldnt let me . Let me know what you think
The clicking sounds like the ABS unit doing it's self test. Should do it pretty quick after startup and then not again until the next startup. I didn't hear a squeak on this one.

Duran

Reaction score
The clicking sounds like the ABS unit doing it's self test. Should do it pretty quick after startup and then not again until the next startup. I didn't hear a squeak on this one.
Thanks for the feed back and tagging my video on here. My concern is at the end of the video that constant squeak of how to describe it. Does it sound normal. Im a first time truck owner is why im curious

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im running 89 seems to run smoother and less idle rattle...Citgo 2.59$gallon here not bad

I just got my 2020 ram 1500 hemi. I started by running 87 octane. But now i want to switch to 89. Would the be any problem in topping of my tank half full (87) with 89. Would there be any harm in mixing this one tank before making the complete switch to the 89 octane. Thanks men

Duran

Reaction score
im running 89 seems to run smoother and less idle rattle...Citgo 2.59$gallon here not bad
I just filled the rest of .y tank up on 89 so gotta wait another tank to see the complete effect but am very excited. So cal at 3.20 per gallon. Could be worse.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Gas is pretty cheap now so I run high octane.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those are some crazy gas prices... wow! We pay 1.79 for Gulf regular here... been that for a good while now. 93 is 2.39... not many places around here offering the mid-grade stuff.

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
Those are some crazy gas prices... wow! We pay 1.79 for Gulf regular here... been that for a good while now. 93 is 2.39... not many places around here offering the mid-grade stuff.

Back in the olden days I worked at a gas station. We only got 87 & 93 octane fuel. I was told when you select "Midgrade" the pump just mixes the 87 & 93 to get the 89. So figure how much you need and dispanse 1/2 of each should do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread