5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch back to a Street Tire from R/T Tire

adboyd06

Reaction score
Current setup: 2019 RAM, 2 inch level, stock black 22s with Predator New Mutant 33x12.50R22 R/T tires. The tires look great, but they are loud, like annoyingly loud with an odd higher pitch hum (I've previously had several other sets of A/T and R/T tires). They look great and perform decently but they are heavy and oh yea, loud.

Thinking about switching to the Nitto 420V in a 305/45R22. Looking for something quiet, good overall performance, less harsh of a ride and a lighter tire (MPGs suffer with the Predator tires). I'm concerned if they will look too small. They are similar in size (height) to the 33s but slightly smaller and I already think the 33s look a bit small with a 2" level. However, they are slightly larger (width and height) then the stock tire size. I am also concerned I'll miss the look of the more aggressive tire. On the plus side the prices on the 420Vs are great compared to the same size A/T R/T tire.

Looking for additional pictures from those with the 420Vs and opinions on making the switch back to street tire.

Attachments

• SCR-20240711-ienm.jpeg
    SCR-20240711-ienm.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 35
  • SCR-20240711-iesn.jpeg
    SCR-20240711-iesn.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 35

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to switch back temporarily to my stock rims/tires and honestly, I'm surprised by how good they are. They are 18 inch Goodyear Wranglers which seem not to be that well liked on forums but they are softer than my 20 inch michelin defenders, look better, and seem to get a little better mpg though that's hard to nail down. Pretty quiet as well.

I'm considering getting nicer 18 inch rims and then running those stock tires on them.

achilles100

Reaction score
Purchased my 2021 Limited with LT285/55R22 Nitto Recon Grappler A/Ts (61 lbs. each) already on it. Stock ride height. They literally looked perfect. Rubbed only a very small amount at full lock in certain situations.

However, a farily rough ride (even with the air suspension) and also fairly loud, especially at highway speeds (duh). Getting 16mpg in town, 18-19 on the highway. I am not an aggressive driver.

I do not tow much if at all and I do not haul heavy loads. Light duty pickup and offroad stuff and highway cruiser is my usage.

Decided to switch to the stock size 285/45R22 and went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 XL. (39 lbs. each)
Street speeds there is vrutally no road noise. Highway speed I would say maybe a 30-40% reduction in road noise (my truck for some reason is pretty loud inside compared to others I have driven and compared to my previous 2013. Haven't figured out why yet.)
Low speed smoothness is like glass. Higher speeds it's honestly not much difference. Truck rides a bit rough and "jiggly...wiggly". Kinda feel every bump and imperfection in the road still, but just not as pronounced. The truck steers much better and does not follow lines and cracks in the road like it used to. Also seems to have a much easier time getting up to speed. Not "faster" per se, just...easier acceleration. More natural feeling.
MPG I don't know yet. I still need to use my Tazer DT to adjust tire size and I just put the new tires on a few days ago. Hoping for even a small improvement. Would just be a bonus.

To sum up...the change I made was positive and I am happy with it for my tastes. But it's not a night and day "Model T to Cadillac Escalade" type of difference.

But make no mistake! A piece of my soul left me with the way it looks now. Those Recon Grapplers were the absolute perfect look for the truck at stock ride height in my opinion. If I were to go back to A/T tires in the future, I would definitely choose C load range instead of E load range.

By the way, if anyone hasn't fallen asleep reading this yet...I am looking to sell the Recon Grapplers. Very good tread remaining and were wearing nice and evenly. Located in the Phoenix metro area. Send me a private message for details and if you're interested. I can get you measurements, pictures, etc.

Take care everyone.

adboyd06

Reaction score
Thanks for input, achilles100. That is a good point on the load range, maybe the compromise is a load range C or passenger rated tire A/T tire instead of a LT 12 ply heavy R/T tire.

RIRed

Reaction score
I had the Pirelli Scorpions and Falkens on mine. Loved them both, but I went back to the Duelers. Pirellis and Falken got louder as they wore down which was to be expected, but after the last set , I went back to quieter and smoother with the Duelers. They steer and handle better(dry surface) Miss the aggressive look for sure, and may switch out when it gets closer to winter as the snow traction will be needed.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For a street tire, really hard to beat Michelin defenders.

You may be surprised, like I was, the stock wranglers have my defenders beat in ride quality and lack of harshness, its not even close. Part of that I'm sure is due to the "downgrade" to 18 inch rims from 20's, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread