5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension lift + Strut Spacer

Kbaboomi

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this topic has been talked about. I have used the search intermittently here and there whenever I had a minute. Also, to all the pros out there please do not crucify me as I am new in trucks and trying to learn.

I want to go for a lift of about 3-3.5 inches for light off roading nothing to harsh or often. Ideally, I wanted to stick with Bilstein as that is what the truck comes with. I have done some of my research and see how people complain about the ride quality being too "harsh" with the 6112 settings being on clip #7 or #8, I ideally was thinking what if I can put a strut spacer with the 6112 lower my clip to #5 or #4 which in theory, I guess I would get roughly 3-3.5 inches.

I can’t see why this would not work but again what the hell do I know. Does anyone have any insight if this is possible? Not possible? Am I going to have to be the Guinee pig? I would appreciate any insight and help.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "harsh" ride comes from the digressive valving on Bilsteins. Just set the 6112's at the hiest setting and forget about the spacer. Spacers are always a bad idea anyways. The ride will be much better than your stock ride and will keep you in alignment specs. If you are going to off road you should get UCA's while you're at it to allow the suspension to stroke freely.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you posted in the Rebel forum I'm assuming you have a Rebel. Don't set the Bilstein's to the highest setting, only go to the 2" setting. That'll put you at 3" overall lift since we start with 1". Going higher than 3 is considered too high without a drop lift and will tear your CV axles up.

Kbaboomi

Reaction score
Since you posted in the Rebel forum I'm assuming you have a Rebel. Don't set the Bilstein's to the highest setting, only go to the 2" setting. That'll put you at 3" overall lift since we start with 1". Going higher than 3 is considered too high without a drop lift and will tear your CV axles up.
Yes sir, I should have made that more clear. 2020 Ram Rebel

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6112's don't have e a 3 inch setting. They go to 2.6 . They come with their own coil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 3" lift limitation is due to UCA geometry and not CV axle. The readylift 3" and 3.5" lifts don't drop the axle, it's all suspension lift.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6112's don't have e a 3 inch setting. They go to 2.6 . They come with their own coil.
Ah I didn't see that they had their own coil when I looked on the website. Just saw that they claim they go to 2.75".

The 3" lift limitation is due to UCA geometry and not CV axle. The readylift 3" and 3.5" lifts don't drop the axle, it's all suspension lift.
Those 3 and 3.5 lifts aren't meant to be put on an ORP truck because you shouldn't be going over 3-3.5 without a drop kit... They even say that with the kit. They also say the kit works without exceeding the CV limit. Going over 3-3.5" absolutely will damage your CV axles if you do more than hit speed pumps in the parking lot. Yeah, the OEM control arms aren't meant for lifted trucks, but the whole point of a drop kit is to align the CV angles.

Kbaboomi

Reaction score
Ah I didn't see that they had their own coil when I looked on the website. Just saw that they claim they go to 2.75".

Those 3 and 3.5 lifts aren't meant to be put on an ORP truck because you shouldn't be going over 3-3.5 without a drop kit... They even say that with the kit. They also say the kit works without exceeding the CV limit. Going over 3-3.5" absolutely will damage your CV axles if you do more than hit speed pumps in the parking lot. Yeah, the OEM control arms aren't meant for lifted trucks, but the whole point of a drop kit is to align the CV angles.

I’m assuming it’s 2.75” over all minus our 1” we already have. I just didn’t want to max out & experience the rough miserable ride in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m assuming it’s 2.75” over all minus our 1” we already have. I just didn’t want to max out & experience the rough miserable ride in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah if you go with their shocks + coil springs you'd lose the 1" you already have so it's 2.75" overall.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with what everyone is saying, don’t go over 3 inches total (which would be 2” on your Rebel), and make sure to get UCAs also. The 6112s are valved digressive and a bit more firm than the 5100s so your truck will definitely feel stiffer on the road but be able to absorb some medium sized bumps better than stock. Another option is rough country offers complete replacement struts that are 3 inches, so you don’t need to get a stiffer ride from the perch setting on the Bilsteins and you don’t have to remove the coil from the strut, you can just do an exact swap and probably get a little better ride quality too. That’s probably what I would do in your shoes. And then sell the full rebel strut/coil assemblies as intact units

Users who are viewing this thread