5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surface rust on bumper

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
while eating my truck today I noticed these spots on the rear bumper - any ideas on best way to stop this before it gets worse? Will the aluminum foil trick work? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200814_114803.jpg
    20200814_114803.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 111

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
while eating my truck today I noticed these spots on the rear bumper - any ideas on best way to stop this before it gets worse? Will the aluminum foil trick work? Thanks.

Probably railroad dust. Get car pro Iron x and it should melt off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Looks like they were caused by stones kicked up from the rear tire causing the thin chrome plating to be chipped off and exposing bare metal. You could clean it up with 0000 steel wool and then touch up the spot with "chrome" paint on a artist's brush. It wont be perfect, but would be much cheaper than replacing the bumper unless your within the warranty period.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they were caused by stones kicked up from the rear tire causing the thin chrome plating to be chipped off and exposing bare metal. You could clean it up with 0000 steel wool and then touch up the spot with "chrome" paint on a artist's brush. It wont be perfect, but would be much cheaper than replacing the bumper unless your within the warranty period.
The truck is only16 months old so definitely within warranty- didn't think it would be something covered but I'll have to ask as a covered replacement would be ideal.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yes, definately push for a replacement bumper, then install a set of Weathertech mud guards to help protect the lower half of the truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not normal. My truck is a 03/18 build and the bumpers are still pristine.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with warranty coverage for surface rust? Looking at the warranties there is the basic bumper-to-bumper that claims to cover everything but then a seperate corrosion perforation warranty that only applies to rust that causes a hole and specifically exempts surface rust. My previous 2014 even had the additional rust protection added and when I brought it in for rust on the door they wouldn't repair since it hadn't gone all the way through. I just want to be prepared when I call the dealer so they don't try to talk me out of it!

RJS

Reaction score
Corrosion portion of the basic warranty. Unless there is chipping from rocks, etc. you should be able to claim against the warranty. I wouldn't touch the rust until you see the dealer.

Certain Kinds Of Corrosion Not Covered Your warranties don’t cover the following: • Corrosion caused by accident, damage, abuse, or vehicle alteration; • Surface corrosion caused by such things as industrial fallout, sand, salt, hail, ocean spray, and stones; • Corrosion caused by the extensive or abnormal transport of caustic materials like chemicals, acids, and fertilizers; and • Corrosion of special bodies, body conversions, or equipment that was not on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or was not supplied by FCA US.

Mhorton814

Reaction score
I didn’t even think about warranty coverage for the surface rust. My back bumper where the plastic and chrome meet by license plate step has small spots of rust where I noticed water drains/pools when I wash or it rains. No way this should be an issue on a 2019 with 12,000 miles on it

STR

Reaction score
If it’s damaged by rocks, stones, or other debris and then it rust, the I doubt that it’ll be covered. If it’s a defect in the chrome plating, then it will be covered...

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer today - they said it was from rocks and took some steel wool and glass cleaner to buff it out and sent me on my way. Body shop said it is not covered and the only way to prevent it is to apply a clear film or other protective measure. I added some Husky Mud Guards this week (that's when I noticed the rust) so hopefully that help. In the end I still find it frustrating this is happening to a truck that is only 18 months old, I drive on gravel a few tiems a month but am mostly on paved roads and don't think a bumper should be rusting from normal use. Never had an issue on my 2014 Ram.

hunter1234

Reaction score
My old truck was beat up by the gravel but the last two trucks I have added Husky mud flaps - front and back and no issue with chips, hopefully it will work for you.

STR

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer today - they said it was from rocks and took some steel wool and glass cleaner to buff it out and sent me on my way. Body shop said it is not covered and the only way to prevent it is to apply a clear film or other protective measure. I added some Husky Mud Guards this week (that's when I noticed the rust) so hopefully that help. In the end I still find it frustrating this is happening to a truck that is only 18 months old, I drive on gravel a few tiems a month but am mostly on paved roads and don't think a bumper should be rusting from normal use. Never had an issue on my 2014 Ram.

The chrome has been pitted exposing the raw metal below. As such, the rust will ultimately return. Keeping that area protected with wax, or similar, will help keep the rust at bay. The old staying, “they don’t make them like they use to,” certainly applies to chrome plating. Manufactures have cheapen their electroplating process. My neighbor has a ‘57 Chevy Bel-Air with its original bumpers that shine. Of course it was taken care of, but I doubt these Ram bumpers will be shining 63 years from now :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread