5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun Roof Problem

Surfwooder

Reaction score
I've been having a long running problem with leaks, and problems derived from them. It all started when we drove our new Ram 1500 Limited from the dealer in Louisiana, to our home in New Hampshire. We bought the truck used from a Ford Dealer in Mandeville, La. When cleaning the truck out from the trip I noticed wet carpet under the rear seats. (Crew Cab) The truck was under warranty, so I took it to the local Ram Dealer. That dealer said the truck had been in a flood, so the warranty is cancelled. We knew this to be untrue. Looking through the purchase papers prior to purchase we found the original owner, his address, and phone numbers in Louisiana. So we talked to him, and indeed the truck was never flooded. My wife contacted Ram, and they had no record of that VIN# to have been flooded, and salvaged. Eventually, Ram instructed the local dealer to find, and fix the problem. It was found to be the rear cab sliding glass window, with cracked seals. The dealer kept the truck for 1 1/2 weeks for the fix. When it was returned to us, Winter had set in. After the Spring thaw, I checked the carpets, all were dry. At the end of April we got a few days of warm weather, and I wanted to drive with the big sun roof open. I could not open the roof. I could only hear a click on the window switch, nothing for the open head liner, and a click for the tilt function. So, I made a appointment at the local dealer. I was told I'd have to pay $135.00 troubleshooting fee. I took the truck in to the local dealer in Concord, NH. I payed the fee. After 2 hours wait, I was told about the clicks for the main glass, and the tilt function, and nothing for the headliner. The service rep said they would have to contact Ram Engineering for the possible fix. That took place on 6/8/2022. So, I'm still waiting for Ram to contact me about this sun roof problem.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I’d go to a different dealer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back glass problem then a sun roof concern.... guess they could be related, doubtful tho. 1 find a new dealer 2 don't wait for a concern like this, could take hours or more for some to get diagnosed, esp if the headliner needs to be dropped 3 good luck

Surfwooder

Reaction score
I'll be digging into the drivers footwell to look at Fuse F18. That fuse is a 30 Amp Pink Cartridge type, I'll pull it and check it with a ohm meter. I'll also try to check voltage through the fuse. Being 30 amp tells me that line must drive the motor. From what I've read in the manual the Sunshade has to be retracted for the glass, and vent controls to function. Since there was a previous problem with water intrusion to the truck, which was finally fixed by replacing the rear cab window, with broken seals. I'm sure the dealer looked into the sun roof system and may have fouled up something during troubleshooting. I looked at "Youtube.com" video about fixing this type of problem, but that fix is beyond my ability.

Surfwooder

Reaction score
I finally took a deep dive into the Internal Fuse Block. It is located behind the kick panel on the drivers side foot well. I removed the two screws and pried off the panel. I took a look at all the fuses associated with the Sun Roof. F18 30 amp listed for the Sun Roof Motor, tested good. F33 10 amp, listed switch Assist/ Sun Shade, tested good. F35 10 amp listed Dual Sun Roof, tested good. Now, I'm starting to think there is a problem in the module located in the Sun Roof assembly above the headliner. So far I've not been able to find any diagrams of the wiring or of this module. I did see a Youtube video showing the location of the module, and plugs etc. I would like to know if a full reset of the Ram would help. (Disconnect the battery, short truck side terminals to clear all power in caps and reset logic, reconnect battery.) Has anyone have any experience with this procedure on a 2019 Ram 1500? Thanks

Surfwooder

Reaction score
After about 2 months dealing with this Sun Roof problem on my 2019 Ram Limited, I think the saga of this issue has come to a conclusion. I took the truck to the dealer for the 4th time, and left it with them. I got a call Wednesday, that they finally found the problem. The Service Manager said the headliner switch was shorted, and needed to be replaced. He replaced the switch, and found both motors were shorted also. I gave them the Ok to replace the bad parts. Today, he called and told me all was good now, and working fine. The dealer sent a car, and I picked up my truck. I ran the Sun Roof open and closed, it worked fine. Thanks to all who gave input, and a big thanks to "Ramcares"

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online