5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden onset of trailer brake issues with new gooseneck

halbright

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, but I found the place googling for a solution. I have a 2021 Ram 3500 Laramie dually. I tow heavy loads with it 90% of the time. I own several trailers, all newer, and everything works with them just fine. Today, I bought a brand new gooseneck from Quality Trailers. I hooked up to it at the dealer and for a split second when you plug the 7 pin into either port on the truck, it shows gain on the dash when you press the brake or slide the controller paddle, but then it stops and it says check wiring. Obviously the trailer, right?? The dealer has a test box he uses to verify all the functions when he sets them up (so he doesn't have to hook up with a truck). This box runs through all the electrical functions of the trailers. He set his knob on brakes and I tried pulling ahead and it had them locked up like you'd want. Plug it into my truck and no brakes. All other functions worked fine. I thought maybe it had to do with settings between Light Electric and Heavy Electric, so I just took the trailer home. When I got home, I figured out how to change the settings to heavy from light and still has same problem. I pull out from under the new trailer and hook up to my 5 year old PJ gooseneck and everything works fine and dandy. As it was getting dark, I started probing around and couldn't find anything obvious.

Not sure if I'm looking for answers or just the ability to ***** tonight lol. Never have I had such issues with a brand new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread